*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah mine has too. Doesn't bother me since i manually set fans anyway but it's definitely another of many AWCC bugs.

2. Killswitch73

Killswitch73 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will cut out the holes for the fans on the U3 Notepal and have the controller at the side . i thought about using the little fans off the U3 and use them at the rear to exhaust more heat away from the machine . it means glueing them to the back of the U3 or to the desk to take away the heat faster while playing games . might not make any difference whatso ever but may just prolong the life of the machine taking away the heat faster so its not lingering at back of the machine and making the ambient temp warmer than what it is . took the lid off the R2 and to my surprise its got a Gen4 SSD M.2 .. but seems when googling the drive its only rated at 3.5k read and right speeds . kioxia its called , never heard of them .

jclausius likes this.
  3. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    what statistic OSD in games do people use as i was going to download riva tuner like i normally use on my msi .. is there any confilct with this using AWCC ?

4. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    Im getting peed off with this machine .. GPU drivers outdated by a year and wont let me install them through geforce experience .. i will try it manually if from nvidia site and if this dont work im sending it back as cant be doing with this crap again as i had this issue with ASUS laptop 5 years ago and ended up being a faulty GPU ...

5. Medoyute

Medoyute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for letting me know. Thing is I had set fan profiles for quite a few of those games and they still get applied when they open. Really a buggy unreliable piece of software, I even recently saw "update available" in the area I circled in red top left. Never saw that before. Wonder what Dell is doing behind the scenes?

Attached Files:

6. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use Rivatuner as I have for years; quite the good bit of software imo ... something some folk aren't aware of is that HWINFO64 sensor data integrates into the Rivatuner OSD settings quite handily. I use it for all sorts of OSD data not available via Rivatuner/Afterburner built in OSD selections. Just open HWINF64 (I choose "sensors only") and from the sensor list, simply right click the sensor data you want to have show up in the Rivatuner OSD and go to "OSD/RTSS Settings" ... works quite well:

hwinfo.png

DreDre and Killswitch73 like this.
  7. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Mine might not be the normal use scenario but I use my AW51mR2 for office/desktop work, maybe 80% of the time I use it each day; the vast majority of my gaming is done at home on my desktop but I do game for an hour or so a day while at work and on the laptop. I've found that setting up a 3.8ghz profile for such daily office work, via Throttlestop, amounts to no difference in my perceived experience at work. I then have a 5.0ghz and/or 4.7ghz profile configured, depending on my mood, for use only when gaming or doing something like video rendering. The 3.8ghz profile runs way cooler than the 4.7ghz/5.0ghz profiles and most likely will go a good way towards prolonging the life of the machine. Heat kills and all ...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Killswitch73 likes this.
  8. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Hey mate ... what do you use to manually set your fans? I've been using AWCC and personally have had a good experience with it. No dropped games, etc. I haven't updated it, though, despite constant notifications to do so because "if it works, don't fix it" and all ... but curious how you manage your fan speeds as I might want to try a different method in the future...

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    TechPowerUp NVCleanstall: Take Control Over Your NVIDIA Driver Installation

Normimb and etern4l like this.
  10. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As far as i'm aware only AWCC can control the fans. Neither speedfan or hwinfo can set the fan speeds and i've not found anything else that can.

s1rrah likes this.