*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good luck sleeping till then. LOL. I have a 38" Alienware AW3821DW coming in today and took me about three hours to get to sleep last night LOL ... (38" is for my desktop/3080 ti machine, BTW) ...

Killswitch73 likes this.
  2. Killswitch73

Killswitch73 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I nearly bough that or the new Samsung Neo G9 but couldnt bring myself to spend £1800 on a monitor or £1200 on the Alienware 38 ... the monitor i did get was £430 and will be great for the laptop .

Im building a new desktop next year with the new 12th Gen Alder lake Cpu and DDR5 with PCIE 5.0 and then i may get the 49in Samsung Neo G9 with a RTX 4080

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Alienware AW3821DW is certainly an investment. My main rational is moving away from my (years now) dual 1440p setup ... both for more efficient video timeline editing and also for more immersive gaming. As well, it's a good mate for my 3080 ti and will only get better with next gen GPU's over the years. And lastly, among all of the 38"+ ultrawides, Dell by far has the best warranty at 3 years/next day exchange vs. Samsung/LG's piddly 1 year warranty. I'm actually going to investigate extending the 3 year warranty on the Alienware screen. Not to mention I'll have two banging 144hz 1440p monitors in the closet for backup/random use ... BTW: I used Dells 1 year no interest financing ... although, as with my A51mR2, I'll likely pay it off in a few months...

Killswitch73 likes this.
  4. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    I agree that the warranty of straight swap over with Dell is great . wish others did this . in UK samsung and LG monitors have 2 years warranty first 12 months is retailer responsibility.

The Aw38 what ive seen is a great screen .

5. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    Has anybody used an eGPU thats not the AGA via Thunderbolt 3 ?

6. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe someone did before in the Area51m R1, the short of it was it runs about 20% slower over tb3 than via the AGA. Although with the AGA not supporting the newer cards and being discontinued anyway i don't think that's as much of an issue.

7. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    is there a work around to get a 3080 to work in a AGA . ??

8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some people managed to get it working by chopping half the case open. There is a AGA thread on the forum here which has more info.

jclausius, Killswitch73 and etern4l like this.
  9. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Killswitch73 What he said (I got a 3080 ti working with mine) but tldr: ddu your video card drivers and you will most likely need to swap the psu (very easy). But yeah, more in the AGA thread.

jclausius and Killswitch73 like this.
  10. Killswitch73

Reputations:

This is sweet and will have a good look in the AGA thread .. looking at a few AGA's on ebay .