*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you factor in the size, the price (1800$) i think the performance VS price is amazing.
    One could get a better CPU (11800H or 11980HK) + 3080 16GB for probably 2500$ and enjoy a better portability, battery life and amazing performance with more up to date hardware.

Area-51M is not bad, i never said that i just think atm there are better option.
    But that's just my opinion of course.

Still, why no R3?
    R3 with 11th gen or ryzen + 3000 series GPU would be amazing.
    Dell is sleeping on this one.

etern4l likes this.
  2. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only if you care about size. I dont care :D

-better build quality, better support, better performance, better fans is worth the price

But yeah the price / Performance of the g17 is great.

The new slim and light books cant even cool the 11800H and throttle with 11980HK.

What good is up to date hardware if it is slower ?

Yes, the 51m is bigger, heavier, the hardware is a year old and the battery life is bad.

But its faster, has better fans (no high pitch sound), has better thermals and dell on site support. All qualities that are at the top of my list.

But I also understand if someone needs portability and doesn't want to carry a 4kg monster :)

For me The R2 is the only option today. No slim and light for me anymore.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    etern4l and s1rrah like this.
  3. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Me too ... don't know about the rest of you but thus far the A51mR2 is the best bit of portable computing I've ever owned. My brother got one and is similarly pleased. Hope it lasts for the full four years (or more) for which I have it warrantied. I'd hate to trade for one of those wafer X17's ... and could care less about the new fangled thermal compound. I've never seen my particular A51mR2 throttle even once and I generally run a static 5.0ghz on all cores.

On another note ... and this may be old news ... but I was running only the larger power brick for a good while and still do when I'm feeling lazy but I noticed that no matter what, when running only the larger power brick without the smaller one in tandem? It's impossible to run a full speed static overclock. No matter the power settings in Windows or anything else ... while gaming, the machine will always start at my 5ghz clock but within a minute will be down clocking in to the 3.5 to 3.7ghz range. In every game. Add the smaller block along with the larger power block? Everything stays pegged at 5ghz constantly. Interesting.

~s1rrah

etern4l likes this.
  4. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends on the usecase and priorities of each user. If you want a smal Notebook than the A51m is a nightmare :D

I, for example, do not benefit from a thin notebook with little weight since I only move the notebook once a week. But I mainly play CPU demanding games.

etern4l likes this.
  5. s1rrah

Reputations:
    True. Use case dependent for sure. Me? I carry mine to work. Set it up on that ridiculous A51m cooler. Hook it up to an external monitor, use it for office stuff/gaming and when we close I pack it up and it's not used again until the next morning. Having a dedicated desktop, hopefully, will extend the life of the laptop as it's only used about 6 hours a day. My former AW17 lasted 4+ years completely error free under the same usage scenario and I'm hoping the same goes for this machine. I've repasted the CPU which helped a bit but last step will be to re pad but waiting a bit as all temps are in the green.

6. Killswitch73

Killswitch73 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I heard a rumour they are bringing back the Area 51 desktop as they losing profit margins on the mobile version and this R2 will be the last ..hence the X17 as there flagship baby to compete with the other brands going thin .

7. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    Me too ..

As i live in the UK the R2 i just bought (still waiting for it to be built and on 3rd delay) the discounts i got on the R2 is near enough half price .

my spec is

i9 10900k
    RTX 2080 super
    32gb 2993mhz
    1x 2TB M.2 Nvme
    windows pro
    Killer wifi
    4k screen (chose 360hz FHD but as it was in my basket for 24 hours and FHD vanished and was upgraded free of charge)

4 years premium care with onsite and Accidental damage insurance

should of cost £4586 with discounts i got it for £2672 (£580 of that is for the 4 year warranty) this is with VAT .+ £160 cashback via cashback site .

i was pretty annoyed with the screen change but figured i will be using a external screen it wont matter to much .

im still using my MSI which to be fair is still holding its own . after 4 1/2 years . No way is the Area 51m r2 going to last as long as my MSI . but they dont make these Titans anymore which is such a shame .

3rd delay says to me its going to be a long wait to get this machine . i contacted support which the email reply was just to tell me its delayed and nothing else they could tell me .. if i could just know what the hold up is .. am i going to get it before xmas ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  8. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    EDIT : now shipped .. ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

also ordered My monitor that ive been up all night trying to decide .

LG 32GP850-B .from what i can see its the best bang for buck without breaking the bank . it will be wall mounted using a arm bracket attached to the wall not the desk. ( ordered paid for just waitng for amazon to get more stock )

s1rrah likes this.
  9. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Congrats on the shipping. And I think you'll really like the LG 32". I've found that LG has some really great out of box calibration. I've used my 10700K/2070 Super quite extensively with an external 1440p monitor and found that it handled the resolution quite well. Yours should handle it even better ...

BTW: here's a 1440p vid cap I did playing Metro Exodus Enhanced, full RTX, Very High settings ... with my 2070 Super A51mR2 ... just add 10 to 15 fps for your setup. ;-) :

Have fun. Hope you get a solid.

~s1rrah

Killswitch73 likes this.
  10. Killswitch73

Reputations:
    Solid frames for Full RTX .

will post some vids on you tube once ive got the new machine and monitor all set up .. the R2 is 9 days away getting to me as its shipped by road . pretty stoked on the monitor.

s1rrah likes this.