*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like @Papusan said the paint is not suppose to deteriorated. Mine is still intact (lunar light). You should still be under warranty so i suggest you call and ask for a repair.
    I am experiencing one major issue with mine and have had the same issue with my previous 51Mr1. Overheating battery message error after the battery completely discharge.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. lewis marx

lewis marx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i've heard about the r1 edition of the area-51m having a faulty mosfet on the gpu that blows up after a while. anyone have any idea if there is a similar issue on the r2 variant with the 2070 super? it seems to run great and the framerates and settings are phenominal compared to my old m18x r2 with the 1060 gpu upgrade, but i am pushing it hard by streaming, encoding on the integrated graphics, running xsplit vcam on the integrated graphics opencl, and playing games at high refresh rates with a second monitor attached. with a desktop i wouldn't even have to think twice but this is still technically a laptop so i'm just reasonably worried.

3. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wouldn't worry about it either way, just use it. keep your warranty up to date and quit thinking about worst case scenarios. I have one of the first delivered R1's (RTX 2080/i9-9900k) that has been overclocked since day 1 with an external monitor or VR headset and I haven't had any issues besides one of the factory NVME hard drives failing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Vanya and DreDre like this.
  4. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I dont live in the US so i cant ask for a repair. It could be something I used during cleaning that caused a reaction on the paintjob. As for battery, no issues since day 1 as i customed the battery level to charge only at max 90% and shutdown at 20%. As much i use only the single 330W power adapter all the time, no difference between solo 330w vs 330w +180w performance.

5. 7leagueboot

7leagueboot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell support have asked me to question you guys to see if anyone else has had the same experience as I have with the following software update:
    Alienware-OC-Controls-Application_R5T7P_WIN64_1.3.32.1360_A00.EXE

I allowed SupportAssist to install that along with Dell-Update-Alienware-Update-Application-for-Windows_GRJVD_WIN_4.2.1_A00.EXE. Prior to that, about 30 minutes before, I allowed Windows update to install KB5003637.

When SupportAssist had completed its installation, the machine was automatically rebooted and I shut down for the night. The next day, my macro key 'A' was not responding so I attempted to reprogram it. It still would not work. I opened a Dell support case.

The Dell tech remotely connected to my machine and performed an uninstall/reboot/reinstall of AW Command Center. Still the macro key would not work so he used Revo Uninstaller to perform the same steps but this time cleaning the registry also. After reinstall and reboot none of the macro keys were functioning and the keyboard backlighting was all Tron blue only. In Command Center, all options to change the lighting were greyed out.

The tech wanted to perform a Windows system restore but I told him he couldn't as my PC was protected by Macrium Reflect. I decided to take back control and restore the system with Reflect. That of course worked, but I wanted to find out which update was responsible so I reinstalled the Windows update and rebooted. All Macro keys were still working. A quick Reflect image was made and I then let SupportAssist install the 2 available updates and, after reboot, the macro-A key was no longer working.

Restored latest image, then attempted to install Dell-Update-Alienware-Update-Application-for-Windows_GRJVD_WIN_4.2.1_A00.EXE. No reboot was required and the macro keys were still working.

Finally, installed Alienware-OC-Controls-Application_R5T7P_WIN64_1.3.32.1360_A00.EXE, rebooted, and bang! The macro-A key no longer worked.

Naturally, I'm placing the blame on the OC Controls v1.3.32.1360 application however, Dell support inform me they have not received any other complaints against that update which is why they want to know if you guys have had any such experience?

Vasudev likes this.
  6. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a similar issue where my OC controls broke as did alienfx and the macro keys. It was either the OC controls update from support assist a number of months back or a alienfx update via the windows store. Again this was all about 6 months ago. After doing a system restore i installed the updates again and everything worked perfectly again.

For what it's worth i installed the OC controls update a few days ago and all my macro keys including A work fine.

Normimb, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Why are people still using Support Assist? It has been problematic since the day it was introduced nearly a decade ago.

Vanya, Normimb, DreDre and 2 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You may used corrosive liquid? I have used different types detergent for cleaning of laptops the last two decades but never experienced this. Even the damn fragile coating on my AW17 from 2013 is still intact:)

Check the bottle and be sure it does not contain these symbols...
    upload_2021-6-14_16-19-12.png

Normimb and Vasudev like this.
  9. 7leagueboot

7leagueboot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's all I wanted to know. In other words, I still need to look elsewhere because although that update triggers the problem, it is likely doing it in connection with another inherent issue.

Might be because when the laptop is still under warranty, Dell support pretty much insist on it.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is not their decision and they cannot require that you use their malware as a condition of warranty. They may not provide Windows support if you are not using it, but their support for Windows is pretty limited anyway.

Normimb, DreDre and Papusan like this.