*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Strange fan behaviour ...

AW Command center used to very effectively control the fan speed on my A51m ... all the profiles worked, full speed, quiet, etc and the fans responded perfectly when selecting any given profile (ramping up or down depending on profile). Now, however, no matter what profile I select ... the fans never change and stay pegged at 52% ... even when gaming, the fans never change speed. This is troubling. I'm real big on manual control of fans and not having this ability is driving me nuts. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks for any input...

Joel

2. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please delete this ... accidental double post

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity I would like to ask the 10900k owners on what undervolt value have you guys used along with max 10 core boost (especially underclocked). I tried -45 mV and 4.6 GHz but I still have the CPU hitting 100C on balanced fan mode very quickly.

4. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use a -120mv undervolt but it may not work for you. You just have to take baby steps and using -.25mv in increments until it BSODs to find a good undervolt value. CPUS don't always respond to the same values. Good Luck.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Papusan and Justin Stuever like this.
  5. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First, don't waste your time on balanced fan mode. If you are testing or doing anything on machine to need max procs you need to be on full speed on thermals and max performance on power setting. All of our testing is based on those settings.

I am stable at 47x -100mv core, 43x -60mv cache. No WHEA errors or BSOD. I get more errors and issues when I try to increase the cache undervolt.

I am stable under 90° on CBR20 with those settings as well as gaming. I would start at -60mv on core and -30 mv on cache and sneak up on it using TS bench looking for errors as well as HWiNFO64 looking for WHEA errors at the bottom of sensors tab. I would drop the cache back down to 43x as well since this seems to play a large roll in thermals.

upload_2021-5-3_13-40-15.png
    upload_2021-5-3_13-40-38.png

jclausius, Normimb and DreDre like this.
  6. jespsounds

jespsounds Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everybody. First of all, introduce myself, is my first post in this great forum, I thank you very much for your help. I want to say that my language is not English and I use the google translator, I am sorry if I am not writing correctly.

I have an Area51m-r2 for 6 months and recently bought a 10900KF, without dedicated graphics, which works fine. But my question is, why does AWCC tell me that the cpu is not supported? I can't handle parameters of this cpu in AWCC even though it is a "K" version that is unlocked .. any suggestions?
    I have another little question .. Is there any way to control the keyboard lighting without the AWCC? I don't like having to depend on this application for this.

Thanks for your help, greetings.

7. zacwhite15

zacwhite15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if i remember correctly the KF is not officially supported.

8. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let me help you...again :)
    Before you mentionned you used a pea size thermal paste for the CPU and an X patern for the GPU.
    Here is your answer: The best thermalpaste for this laptop is Thermalright TFX for BOTH cpu and gpu. Use the X patern. A pea size on the CPU is not enought

Here is another answer to your questions: You mentionned you run test on Balanced fan profile = WRONG. Always run full speed fan profil for benchmark, gaming on such a powerfull CPU.

And for the correct undervolt now: I gave you some guideline to start. Now run some benchmakrk (ThotlleStop benchmark and look for errors. If no errors you can increase the undervolt)..

Please follow my advise and you'll have the best settup for your laptop.

ninedragons, Papusan and DreDre like this.
  9. Sharpi1991

Sharpi1991 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I am new here as a friend of mine told me about this forum. Today I received my Alienware Area51m R2. Everything worked good so far at the beginning.

I got a I 7 10700 with 16gb ram and a 2070 super.

i also put in my Samsung 2 tb qvo and my 1tb 970 Evo later That Day. And afterwards it I got no Audio Audio device with a red Circle Icon on the bottom Right of the Screen.
    I manually reinstalled Windows and all the drivers.It didnt change anyrhing. Still no Audio.

And After countless attemps to reinstall Windows in Order to solve this Problem i finally got a purple dead pixel quite a big one.
    What can I Do besides sending the laptop back?I Need help IAm so desperate right now.

10. zacwhite15

zacwhite15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

so you've got a purple spot on the display and no audio, and you just received it? i would RMA it immediately.

Justin Stuever, DreDre and Papusan like this.