*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Capture.PNG
    Edit: use the same settings for cache ratio. -44.9.
    Maybe you should set all cores at 48X with a -60mv for a start or even better a 47X all cores with a -70Mv core and cache.
    Test after and if you ever get a BSOD always suspect a to agressive undervolt.

Papusan and circuit like this.
  2. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Will give it a try. :)

Normimb likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Probably not what you hope for. Even thinner on its way. The sick thin and lighter trend continue from Dell Alienware... NEW THINNER AW LAPTOPS ON THE HORIZON
    [​IMG]

4. zacwhite15

zacwhite15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i was hoping to see an R3 release of the Area-51m, guess that ain't gonna happen :(

5. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I believe this is most of us are hoping for..but the problem is we need a 200+ watt version of the notebook 3080 but I feel like that's not happen either. And if that doesn't happen it's almost forcing our hand out of the laptop space. I've absolutely loved my 51m R1 with the 2080 and wouldn't mind sticking with the line but who knows where it's going to go from here. I'm also not thrilled with them giving up on the graphics amplifier port too on their newer R5 line.

Justin Stuever likes this.
  6. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah it looks like barring any unforeseen circumstances the Alienware Area 51M R2 is probably the last of the Dell series with desktop processors and semi thick chassis. They are pushing the Apple narrative with thinner and lighter chassis. This is truly the end of an era with Dell/Alienware of enthusiasts quality notebooks. Although these new notebooks are boasting RTX 3080s and RTX 3070s they are barely beating a RTX 2080 Super 200w in most games. In the benchmark tests I have seen for other games the RTX 3080 is still not beating a RTX 2080 SUPER 200w version. The Clevo X170 SMK with Prema BIOS is the only notebook left that can only be thought of as an enthusiast notebook. Me being an Alienware fan since its inception my heart is hurt and angry. LOL.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  7. Medoyute

Medoyute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mind if I ask how did you apply your paste and how much was used?

8. circuit

Reputations:
    Sure. For the GPU, I used a pea size drop of paste and for the CPU, I used the cross method. As for how much was used, I wouldn’t say too much. A 3.5g tube of the paste will be more than enough. For cross method I did not go edge to edge on the CPU, more like started from around 15% within the block. CPU still needs to be undervolted regardless of how good the paste is. GPU is showing excellent results.

9. Medoyute

Medoyute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response and breakdown. I have a 10700K so I may not undervolt if I repaste.

10. circuit

Reputations:
    Not a problem :)
    Also as a reminder if this your first re-paste. Make sure your thermal pads are properly aligned before putting the heatsink back on.