*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. A User

A User Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    RE: Issue with intermittent NVme 3/4 recognition on boot

Hello Gents,

I've read through the forum to catch up and couldn't see any clear sign of a solution to an issue I was discussing here a few months ago. where one of my interposter NVme (drive 3), fails to mount in windows intermittently.

The problem seems to be getting a bit more frequent for me.

Was there any progress, or consensus found with regard to a solution or even a reason for this issue?

MANY THANKS

2. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:

None that I've found. I've suspected it may be due to using RAID mode in the bios and AHCI might resolve it but I don't have the time or inclination to reinstall windows to test my theory at the moment.

The problem occurs just enough to be annoying for me but not often enough for me to do anything about it. :D

3. Sir.resurreccion

Sir.resurreccion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello fellow 51m R2 users, I was wondering if someone could help me.
    Is there a difference between
    Dell Memory Upgrade - 32GB - 2RX8 DDR4 SODIMM 3200MHz
    &

HyperX Impact 3200MHz DDR4 CL20 SODIMM (Kit of 2) HX432S20IB2K2/32, 32GB kit (2 x 16GB) (Is this compatible?)

Also which do you recommend? (Obviously one is cheaper)

Final question I noticed theres a 64gb kit of 2 with the same MH'z for hyper impact.... could I put that in my alienware???

4. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I wish I had time to read the 300+ pages here, but I really don't - can anyone brief me on the issues the R2 has in general?

5. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

the only fault I have seen so far is the battery which wears out very quickly otherwise there is no real fault!

Docsteel likes this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see that you're not informed about the "upgradeability" of the AREA 51m series @Papusan plss enlighten this fellow forum visister

Dellienware thinks that replaceability is the same as upgradeability

Normimb and etern4l like this.
  7. Asdesas

Reputations:
    I know very well about the upgrade, but have talked about the laptop in general and not upgradability

8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's true but that was one of the selling points which it CAN meet but (D)#ELL won't let that happen.
    If you bought the laptop on the premise it's upgradeable (so also from the RTX 2080, to which ever card would've been produced on the DGFF) which is not, you've effectively been lied to.

So the "upgradeability" of the machine is one thing that's general, cause that's it main selling point. But (D)#ELL failed hard on that subject.

But that's looking at this machine from a Desktop-Replacement enthousiasts persepctive, not the "any machine will do as long as it can game" standpoint like most people have.

Buying a desktop replacement most of the times is for the freedom of having a laptop with desktop performance. Now both the freedom, and desktop performance has been diminished (cause the laptop will only keep the performance from the generation it's from).

Just like the 51m R1 cannot work with a 9900KF chip. Even today

9. Asdesas

Reputations:

You talk about upgrading all the time but nobody ever tries to put a 2080s graphics card in the r1, I'm sure when changing the cooler and the graphics card is possible, but there are people like you and papusan which its just to make criticisms, I also think that you do not even have the r1 or the r2 in hand! I registered on this forum to help people and to see if there was a real handyman who did real tests in real life and not people who criticized by throwing us info from dell or haters on the web! We already know everything we have to move forward and try to improve the pc by ourselves! It is not by criticizing without stopping that knows how to change things!

And for info the i9 9900k works on r1!

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're right, we make valid criticism. It's not against the forums rules, so i do not see why you're having problems with it. But Nonetheless i have hold a few (i offer repaste services in the Netherlands) and i've had an 17 R4 that went out within a year of owning it, and got a 17 R5 which had massive problems. You really think a smart person would still buy from a company that has fallen from grace ?

If you have the Bios signed code, you could provide them here, else there is no way to improve the area 51m series by yourself. That's the point for all the critisism. They become more expensive, and more like Apple which works under the premise: Planned obselence.

You can argue all you want, but all AW does is release a new system give it to the reviewers which achieve great benchmark perf, and after a few weeks of hype, they lock it down and castrate the hell out if it.

The fact that you point to the 9900K proves my point. The damn machine was sold with the 9900K, but after the 9900K there was another CPU which was released which is called the 9900kf: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...900kf-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

It was released after the 9900K and was a better binned 9900K without integrated graphics.
    But because AW never released a bios update with the new microcode of the 9900KF it was never officially supported, meaning you could boot the chip but not overclock.

If you can show us the way to crack the bios so we can modify the BIOS/VBIOS (it's actually called UEFI but everyone is from the BIOS era) be my guest, else every valid criticism should be accepted silently, or battled with better facts. But thats IMHO. I'm not saying you cannot like the brand, just like it with clear eyes, and praise it good sides and highlight the bad ones. It seems like you cannot accept the second part. Plenty of reviews that praise the AW machines, but over here there are more level headed people that's all.

DreDre, Papusan, c69k and 4 others like this.