*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HWMonitor64 and GPUZ both give Hotspot Temperature for GPU - Mine reached 95.4C tops. GPUZ also gives GPU Memory Temperature - 91.4C tops for this. Are the numbers decent or too high?

2. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Others can chime in as well but that seems pretty hot for the GPU ... install HWINFO64 and load the sensors ... check to see if your GPU is throttling ... not sure what the throttle point is for a 2080 Super ... I have the 2070 Super and my in game temps never go higher than 58C ... but your card is going to run hotter since it's the 2080 ...

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question about the cooling assembly for the 2070/2080 machines ... are they the exact same cooling assembly or is the 2080 cooler different than the 2070? I've been seeing these so called RTX 2080 "upgrade" cooling assemblies and wondering if they are the same as the one in my 2070 machine or different in some way?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YF-003V-01V44?isClickShare=true

[​IMG]

I know there is an aftermarket assembly on Ebay, the all copper one, but not sure if it would fit my 2070 Machine:

4. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's the same heatsink 2070/2080 skus.

5. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems this is normal for a 2080S. I used to have a 2060 in my Area 51m R1 and that easily got to 67C. Your 2070S is doing well in comparison.

6. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

It's not compatible with area 51m r2! It's for area 51m r1for rtx 2080!

7. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I agree, the R2 has a different heatsink design and has a vapor chamber on the CPU side.

8. 7leagueboot

7leagueboot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was definitely better but nothing compared with my R4. And then I noticed that the 7.1 surround option was not only OFF but also greyed out so I could not enable it. I opened a support ticket and the Dell tech showed me how to do that. Now the sound is what I was hoping for. :)

Thanks for all your tips which have definitely served me well.

Next stop, learn how to use the APO equalizer.

9. 7leagueboot

7leagueboot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would it be possible to get some help on the use of lighting FX?
    On all my previous AW's, the FX were easy to create and edit. On this latest version of the Command Center, I'm at a complete loss to understand anything.
    Because I have the UHD screen, the help file is illegible. I downloaded the PDF version but that talks total nonsense; it's as though it was written for a different version!

Here's what I want to do:
    1. speed up the default Spectrum lighting. You have probably all noticed that when your first turn on the machine the morph moves from left to right and is perfectly fluid but, as soon as Windows starts loading, the keyboard morphs from right to left with a staggered motion. Speeding that up should solve it however, speed options only seem to be available for your own themes, not for the default theme.

2. I want to create a duplicate of the default so that I can edit it to my liking. The problem is that the duplicate option only seems to be available with new themes you have created yourself and if I edit the default theme there is no Save As option, only a Save Theme which would presumably overwrite the default.

10. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just set duration to low.

upload_2021-4-10_13-16-40.png