*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    We'll see. If it does not have a @Prema Mod then maybe not.

DreDre likes this.
  2. Frr

Frr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it does i just ordered one! after seeing the alienware area 51m R2 being a big disappointment and overpriced

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Would be exactly the same with Azor still as captain. Remember he was the boss for the massive change in 2014/15

2015 models come with no raid options. They said no need for it in gamingbooks:)

Remember also the move to no card reader on their brand new designed gaming flagship.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can be sure the R2 has roots in planning going back a couple years, meaning it's still the results of long term choices, not post Azor. These things are going to cook to death, imo. And with pci-4 and ampere coming, and there being a less than 5% chance you can upgrade the GPU (honestly it's really a 0 chance) and no possible way of dropping a new CPU in there for PCIe 4.0, it's short lived just to add to the pain. With transitions happening very quickly even Intel stepped out of their usual mold and gave the Z490 upgradeability. But you are guaranteed that path isn't baked into the R2. Don't even say "maybe". If that was possible they'd know (because Dell has engineering samples from Intel) and that would be a huge marketing bone they'd drop on the front page of the R2 order page. It's not. There won't be any path forward. Ampere is public insofar as it can be talked about. Any promise there? Not a whisper. 5-6K for a dead end last breath 14nm beast that will be great for heating an Alaskan house in the wintertime?

Pass...

5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Azor was also the mastermind for the no upgrade path for their AW desktops.

Help me upgrade the processor of my Aurora R5 from 2016 with an i7 6700
    upload_2020-6-12_23-53-28.png

Ram help? I’m confused
    upload_2020-6-12_23-58-39.png

And NO UHD panels for Area-51m was a design decision taken on the top. Yeah, all design solutions/add back "removed features" is taken +2 years before the initial release of an model.

Offer removed features has its value in offer something new (groundbreaking) worth to buy the next year.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yet, they came up with the 51M under Azor, flawed as it is. Once he was on his way/out, the dumbing down process got underway. He appeared to have no idea about the soldered RAM in m15 R2, his last product intro. I suspect his ex-Acer replacement, who was probably involved in the design decision for a while now, will be the final nail in the coffin of Alienware, once an innovative manufacturer of cutting edge high-performance laptops.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I'm 100% sure he knew the m15/m17 come with soldered ram. Not always you want to tell the truth about unwanted changes (but not always you remember everything at time you get questions).
    upload_2020-6-13_0-9-28.png
    Frank Azor confirms XPS 13 7390 will have soldered SSD, "not very different from smartphones today"

An Interview with Frank Azor | AMD Partner Hub
    "I have big ideas that can only be executed by a company that owns an end-to-end ecosystem of intellectual property across CPUs, GPUs, APUs, Chipsets and software"

raz8020, Ashtrix, Falkentyne and 2 others like this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Even by alien standards, this level of divisiveness and treachery is...

10. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Likely with XoticPC, isn’t he the “custom BIOS partner” or something like that?