*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Any one who ordered the 2933mhz memory from Dell cannot upgrade to 3200mhz XMP memory. The HIDEvolution rep states that they discovered different motherboard parts were used based on what memory you order from the factory. Dell does not even sell the OEM 3200mhz XMP memory as a after purchase upgrade either. No idea why they would do this, but it is just what I have seen.

As far as the vapor chamber, Dell claims every model other than one configured with a 1660ti will have it. For some reason I recall someone saying the non-K processor did not have it either, but I cannot find where that report was. You probably want the K processor anyways for the thin die and STIM. With the 10700k it is easier to have reasonable temps without needing a delid. It is far better than the 9900K ever was.

raz8020, normand668, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...mhz/apd/ab120716/memory#compatibility_section

Area-51M R2 is in the Compatibility list https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pfydresults/269144?categoryId=4325

Here is another nice explanation on how Dell do it for Area-51M R2. I expect similar also for previous model.
    upload_2021-3-4_22-52-23.png

raz8020, Docsteel, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  3. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I assume the 10700k will operate under the same thermals as the 10900k because they are both 125w tdp.

I played with one that had the 10700k and rtx2070 super and BF5 would cause it to thermal throttle with the default balanced fan setting.

The non-K series are 65w and I assume they would not thermal throttle with balanced fan setting.

I am honestly against 125w cpu in laptops because they remind me of my clevo d900 systems back in 2005 and looking back at those they simply ran too hot.

I have waited for an m18x replacement as I still have this since 2011 but Alienware moved away from this and it is unfortunate for me. So I might have to make decision and just go back to 17 in size with this new offering.

4. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well.....i believe that explanation to be true. It makes so much sense and no need to have 2 different types of MB.

Perfidious synomym = Dishonnest - Two-Faced- Untrustworthy- Disloyal - Traitorous- Faithless......Dell......Alienware.

raz8020, Docsteel, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  5. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

possible but I am waiting to see when the 11 generation cpu will be released! i don't think they will release an r3 this year so there is still a possibility that they will update their r2

6. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone else who has this problem with the m.2 disks in the interposer board. Are you running in AHCI or RAID mode?
    I've got a feeling it's related RAID. Which might be why the reinstall helped @Robert Jagroop fix his issue and why slots 0&1 are never affected since they support raid.

That is some insidious **** and makes sense. I guess you just have to flash your memory with a ADATA serial number then.

raz8020, normand668, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    raz8020, normand668, Normimb and 3 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Could be... They could do the same as for the thinner BGA models... Add in a new MB, Cpu and 3000 series graphics. Re-use the same chassis and brand it R3. The major difference between the BGA models and the Area-51M is that you can swap out etc fried Cpu or GPU. As well put in a better Wifi card.
    Yeah, its awful. But nothing new.

jc_denton, raz8020, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  9. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If anyone is looking for a game to stress test their system, connect your VR to it wirelessly and fight the zombies in Half Life Alyx.... Oh my dear lord is that some crazy stuff! Insane seeing the high end graphics in 3D on my Oculus Quest 2. Might be buying the next gen high end VR headset when the new Valve drops.

It didn't put as much load on my 10900k as Cyberpunk, but it is definitely as hard on the GPU! Love it! So glad I bought this machine. The VR side of gaming is finally taking over on the AAA games. I highly recommend yall give it a shot!

Normimb likes this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    raz8020, DaMafiaGamer and Papusan like this.