*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can configure the laptop with a high refresh rate panel that comes with Gsync, tobii eye tracking, or both. The options with no tobii eye tracking hardware are only available on the 2 cheaper configurations. The 2 most expensive ones force you to buy a config with the hardware included.

2. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok I thought I saw somewhere that even the cheapest configurations had tobii! thanks for the info

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    144hz gsync does have tobii as well. The panel is identified as AUO449D if you are curious.

Normimb likes this.
  5. Asdesas

Reputations:
    I have already ordered the cheapest black version but with the 2070 super graphics card to have the cooler I thought to upgrade it later by changing the screen to a 4k 120hz and with the next generation of i9 11900k cpu! for tobii i wanted to have a confirmation! thanks

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    11900k will require a microcode update from dell which is unlikely to happen. Be sure to order with 3200mhz ram if you want higher than 2933mhz support even with aftermarket kits. Also be sure to order a K series CPU so you get a vapor chamber heatsink.

7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If Dell offer Rocket MC they have to offer PCIe 4.0 support. I doubt they have added this feature into their current motherboard. Because this would increase the costs.

Normimb likes this.
  8. Asdesas

Reputations:
    normally the z490 is compatible with pcie 4 ! dell just modifies their microcode to incorporate them into the motherboard! after it is the cpu which brings the pcie 4 so if dell carries the update I think it is feasible! I think they will update the motherboard!

I also remain perplexed for the people who say that dell would use 2 types of motherboard for the compatibility of the ram it remains unlikely in my opinion!

9. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you elaborate more on the memory and heatsink? I was thinking about just ordering base model now and possibly upgrading the cpu, gpu, and ram in the future.

10. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A lot more than a MC is needed to make PCIe 4.0 to work. Not even all MB manufacurers offer it for all their boards. And Dell have already confirmed their upgrade policy long time ago. Both for processors and graphics cards.
    [​IMG]

Dell don't even offer upgradeability for their Alienware desktops. Just say it couldn't be validated and move on https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...Aurora-R5-support-Intel-I7-7700K/td-p/5596409

In short.... If you have any Dell gaming system don't expect Rocket MC update for any computers ouside new machines.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    raz8020, jclausius, etern4l and 2 others like this.