*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. liviu2007

liviu2007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hello guys.i have received the interposer board and evrything runs fine no problems at all! all parts included in the pack including heatsinks,screws etc! cheers

Satanello likes this.
  2. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So i just bought a sabrent rocket 2tb ssd and put it in slot 4. Interestingly the western digital sn730 still drops out on occasion but the sabrent in slot 4 is always visible still.

So either the slot on the board is bad or it's these western digital drives.

Papusan likes this.
  3. liviu2007

liviu2007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello again. just an update to the problem you guys having!
    i had few issues with slot 3 on the interposer board aswell.
    mine was getting the ssd very hot to 72 degrees and would come back! i even opened a return case on ebay lol :D
    i thought is the new ssd i bought at first but after i swapped the ssds around same was happening-slot 3 was getting hot!
    nothing was fixing it
    so i did a latest windows fresh install and and after installing latest drivers from dell turns out it was the controller of the board that wasnt installing properly or was having a bug!
    now is all working corectly!
    so i sugest a windows fresh install latest of course! goodluck!

4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    On the newest firmware? https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...wt64a&productcode=alienware-area51m-r2-laptop

Probably compatibility problems. Same also for the older R1 with the SN530 https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

Justin Stuever likes this.
  5. Robert Jagroop

Robert Jagroop Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    Got a scratch and dent in visibly perfect condition minus original box.
    10900k 2080 super 4k.

When I try to update to the latest video driver, from A02 to A03, either from Microsoft, Dell or Nvidia, the 4k laptop screen gets corrupted, with black flashing moving bars ??

The hdmi output is fine, just the 4k laptop screen.

Tried restoring from both partition, and latest online direct from Dell, multiple times, but no joy.

Dell service want to send an engineer to replace screen, and possibly graphics card, but I'm concerned, as I am high risk, under the current circumstances.

(They won't send me the parts to replace myself, or replace the whole laptop. It's either repair or refund)

Ideally, I only wanted the 10700k with 2070 super to play fs2020 at 1080p. But I saw a bargain 10900k 2080 4k with 60% discount, and couldn't resist.

My only concern is managing the temps on this spec.

Interestingly, I see the Intel UHD 630, displayed in task manager, zero utilisation. I wondered if that could be causing the problem with the 4k laptop screen ?

Any ideas gentleman ?
    Many thanks

6. Robert Jagroop

Robert Jagroop Newbie

Reputations:
    Ps. All the latest driver and bios updates installed, except for the non functioning video driver.

7. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did just reinstall windows a few weeks ago. Any idea what driver it might of been?

Yeah it's on the latest firmware but i've had a couple of instances where my sabrent drive has mounted but unable to write to it this weekend. So i'm back to the idea that it must be the interposer board.

Justin Stuever likes this.
  8. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be a shame since the RTX3080 Mobile @150W is not far off of an RTX2080 Super @200W. Really, bearing in mind the return to 8 cores on Intel platform, we could be looking an 10900k & RTX2080 Super equipped A51m R2 could be almost at the top of the food chain for a couple of years (unless Dell go AMD+ 200W 3080 Mobile).

DreDre and Normimb like this.
  9. liviu2007

liviu2007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i grabbed windows 10 pro business 19042.804

installed by itself really! i think you should try a really clean install. completely wipe all partitions on your windows ssd!

10. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I would like to know if all the configuration of the area 51m r2 that we can choose are delivered with tobii or it is necessary to choose a special configuration? there isn't a lot of info on this!