*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Normimb

AWCC is lying about the timings I guess because AIDA64 shows CL22:

2021-01-13_212433.png

Papusan, Normimb and etern4l like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    etern4l and Normimb like this.
  3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes that is what if tought from the beginning to be honnest. That just confirms again how much a piece of garbage this AWCC is.
    Below i have made a comparaison of your ram benchmark (3200 MHz) vs my slower ram (2933 MHz). We can notice that even if you ram (3200) is running at CL22 and mine (2933) at CL21 yours is still faster in terms of Latency. What does it mean in real life? I have no idea since i am just beginning to learn about rams.
    RAM Benchmark comparaison.png

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Why hasn't awcc been fixed yet?

AWCC not working correctly

"Is anyone else having problems with AWCC recently? It used to show my 777 temps for my CPU but I reinstalled and now it is showing the correct CPU temp"

Add in my slower ram (default 2133MHz). Lower timings will offset the drawback from slower ram speed. But the Alienwares have locked firmware and you have to live with what you have. Some software/games will benefits from lower timings/latency. And we have the opposite cases where faster ram speed will take the lead. The best is having from both worlds :)
    upload_2021-1-13_23-8-50.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    Normimb likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You couldn't make this stuff up. Clear
    Haha, I just had a horror moment when my AWCC started upgrading itself. Everything is fine though. Dell must like me :)

6. Normimb

Reputations:
    I wonder if people that owns other laptop company (asus, msi, clevo etc...) also complains about the firmware (software) develop by their manufacturer.
    Even if my M51R2 is working very well (for now untill....) and dell have a good warranty, i asked myself: How is it possible to destroy a good reputation and the overall experience i have using this laptop with bad decisions and the worst ever seen programming? AWCC as been either bad or a disaster for at least 5 years now. It's not acceptable that they have not fixed their problems withs the software.
    Is Dell/Alienware the worst manufacturer for programming and taking bad decisions or they all are just as bad?

etern4l likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I think you'll need to change the time frame with bugs from 5 to at least 8 years. AWC is probably one of the worst but the CCC software from Clevo ain't much better. I avoid use any proprietary software. Its trash and won't grow in quality as fine wine with the coming years. It will be only worse. And push it to the Microsoft Store won't make it better.

Imagine how it will be when ACC/OCC tool is the only software to make some changes in advanced power settings. Its closer than you think.

DreDre, Normimb and etern4l like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK, so 3200 is about 7% faster whereas just by factoring in CL, it should be 4% faster, so something else is going on, likely some bursting. Still, pretty minor difference either way. HyperX would work at CL20 in 3200 mode, so that would bump it up another 5-10% ish- not worth upgrading from Dell's kit, but if one could get HyperX instead of Dell RAM that would be preferable (which is why we shouldn't be surprised if Dell decides to solder down all RAM going forward :)).

Papusan and Normimb like this.
  9. Normimb

Reputations:
    I learned about alienware 5 years ago, So i trust you when you say it started earlier. Thanks for the info on Clevo.

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  10. MajorSick

MajorSick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell won't solder Area 51m Ram.
    Don't be surprised if we start seeing RTX 3000 series on a rev 2.0 board for the R2 coming out in the next few months.

DreDre likes this.