*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Tonymontanaroach

Tonymontanaroach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cleaned it up a bit and got a tiny bit more paste on to see if that would help. It’s even worse now. I think I’ll have to get some thermal right paste. Any recommendations for GPU paste?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. b.kolev

b.kolev Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Phobya nanogrease, TFX or GC Extreme for both CPU and GPU... whatever you find around you.

3. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So i've just spent all morning fighting with AWCC.

I've removed it and reinstall multiple different versions using spartans guide and the overclock controls and alienfx just refuse to work.

I've monitored the software using process monitor and can't see anything obvious. The logs say nothing useful.

The event log shows the following:
    Application: AWCC.Background.Server.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

So it's clearly trying something it doesn't have permission to do but i have no idea what.

It's such a piece of **** software and i'm at the point of just resintalling windows now to try and fix the damn thing.

Wish i could control the fans outside of this software and just be done with it forever.

Papusan and Normimb like this.
  4. b.kolev

b.kolev Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I found (I hope Dell doesn't read this thread :D) a way we are able to control the fans of our systems via AWCC (sorry to hear that @ratchetnclank). When I duplicated Thermal Profile "Cool" as "Cool-1" I managed to set offset of the fans. I set up 46% for CPU and GPU and now the fans are running at 44%. Whatever you select as offset there are difference between 2-5% which for me is awesome. Also the GPU is able to run above the capped 50W (as Cool profile runs max 50W GPU).

I also experiencing a problem with FX for 2 days... now the key "Q" is lighting with different color. I was playing "This war of mine" 2 days ago when my keyboard starting to lights with the colors of the game and "Q" key just stopped working as expected. I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem. Did someone experienced something like that?

Attached Files:

5. ratchetnclank

Reputations:
    I had a similar thing with Metro Exodus where the keyboard would stay white after playing as metro used the alienfx api.

Had to go into AWCC and reapply my normal profile to fix it.

Just spent another hour of my life reinstalling via some reddit guide and that doesn't work either so i guess it's time to go nuclear on the OS.

Normimb likes this.
  6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it an idea to install Windows on another partition and install AWCC on that alone, and there you can set up your lights etc, and then do not boot into that Windows ever again, until and unless you want to make a change?

7. ratchetnclank

Reputations:
    I suppose i could do that but it seems a waste of hard drive space.

I've reinstalled windows now and it works perfectly. I'm just going to try never update it.

normand668 and Normimb like this.
  8. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    TFX is the best.

FXi, Justin Stuever and Papusan like this.
  9. Normimb

Reputations:
    ****iest software ever invented. I understant and share your pain. It's been like that for the past 5 years. @Spartan@HIDevolution is the only good guide on how to help reinstall this ****ty software. I wish we could have a name of the engeneer who worked on this program. At least we would be able to give a name to SPUPIDITY.

10. Normimb

Reputations:
    AWCC talks and works wiht your bios. That is one of the reason why it is so full of bugs. Don't think there is any solution to make this software work well. Even spending hours with tech support and they could not reinstall properly. Ending up in giving me a new laptop multiple occasions. That's how much this software is bad.

normand668 and Papusan like this.