*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm not sure I understand this issue.... When I stress test my undervolted CPU (10900K) at max draw 4.9mhz x 10 at 1.35v per core at the same time as my GPU (2080S) maxed out at 2050mhz video clock I only see about 200w with the GPU and about 200w with the CPU. This is banging the CPU off the thermal cut off. Obviously this does not include the rest of the machine and fans etc.... but it does not cut off a power supply or limit anywhere else. I'm not sure how you could even get this machine up to 500w with the thermals. Can you elaborate on this issue please?

Normimb likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm sorry my friend, unfortunately there is no brilliant answer to your question, since Dell doesn't guarantee that any particular panel will be provided. I wouldn't be worried by this too much, I'm very happy with my 144Hz m15 panel (although I would not game on it extensively, just because of the size).

As for the 3ms response time, I would recommend that for any serious FPS gaming you budget for a 24 inch 1ms panel, a 240Hz+ BenQ TN panel would probably be best - these are used by many CSGO pros for good reasons. 1ms IPS monitors are a joke in my experience.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Normimb likes this.
  3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well guys just beat my previous record and now way ahead at number 1 for my config on the charts. The 2070 super and 10700k in this system is insane. Still have more headroom left to keep going. My cpu is at 5.2ghz all core and 2070 super at +180/+800 for this run.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/24099876

Attached Files:

Aroc, etern4l, MogRules and 1 other person like this.
  4. Satanello

Satanello Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heck ... I have 10700k delidded with liquid metal, Phobya thermal paste and Gelid thermal pads I cannot go above 4.9ghz because the temperatures become unmanageable. Your cpu is excellent!
    My score is obviously lower (position 10 or 11)

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

5. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Are you hitting thermal cut off during this bench? And are you maintaining 5.3 through the entire test? If so you definitely hit the lottery.

Aroc likes this.
  6. A User

A User Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Gentlefolk.

I've been lurking here for the past 70 pages or so considering the purchase of a new ALIENWARE AREA-51M r2. This is a most enlightening and useful place thank you..

I have some questions regarding the build I can afford, which is more of a Jaguar than a Tesla Roadster, and is about half way up the price scale of possibilities for an Area 51m r2 here in November 2020 in the UK.

The build follows, the rational of which is gleaned from this site. Could you set me right if I am/or am not understanding the latest advise put out here on your forum informing this build?

I do play games but not FPS (Elite and a bit of Star Citizen), I also design, render video and 3D models.

---------------------------------------------------------->
    NEW ALIENWARE AREA-51M
    processor: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 10700K (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
    videocard: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6
    Screen: 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 360Hz 5ms 300-nits 100% sRGB color gamut + Tobii Eyetracking + NVIDIA G-SYNC
    memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz;
    harddrive(s): 1TB (2x 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD) RAID 0 [Boot] + 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD [Storage]
    color: Lunar Light

Original Price £3,003.99
    Black Friday Discount £2,536.40 = ($3367.73) U.S.

----------------------------------------->

There is a lot to follow but I hope it is useful in some way as a summary of the posts I have been reading here - and my apologies in advance for the many dumb questions contained within,.

Processor:
    (i) the fastest that can be afforded, though controlling thermals may be an issue.in a laptop.

-is it preferable to buy the non-adjustable non 'k' version or what value will the K version bring in a laptop which runs pretty hot anyway?

Memory:
    (i) Buy the least possible of the Dell low quality 3200 XMP ram to unlock the better mainboard?
    (ii) Ram clocks can't be altered in the bios but can be in XTC though they prove hard to stick after re-boot?

-What is the current advise for RAM choice for and what clock ratios and speed can I expect?

Hard-drives:
    (i) Buy at least three sticks of NV - SSD so as to unlock the internal chassis part for additional SSD's 3 & 4, which is hard to obtain after market.
    (ii) Keep your old bits because Dell have suggested if you put more the a TB in each slot they may refuse to service? (is this madness?)
    (iii) Raid setup has pros and cons, the bandwidth is limited by sharing the same 4 PCI lanes, though benefits in wear and tear can be seen as each drive in the RAID 0 array is tasking half the load.

-Will the H.D. caddy be included too, or if not is this purchasable?
    -What is the best advise in terms of brands and speeds of NV's?

Graphics:
    (i) Not much to say here really, buying the best you can.
    (ii) waiting 6 months for the RTX 30x/AW R3 to be released would be advisable if you already have an R1 version?

Screen:
    (i) There are some issues with the 4K screen in terms of usability and legibility.

-Is there any benefit in this huge refresh rate of 360hz, should/could I just set it to 240hz (which seems to be it's native rate anyway pre-overclock) and then 60hz if I'm not gaming to save battery life?
    -does anyone know the stats, quality of colour and usability and the make model of this new 360hz screen yet?
    -can it be under clocked easily and usefully to save battery life?
    -is under-clocking of a screen only in multiples of the full clock speed, i.e. 30, 60, 120?
    -Is NVidia G-Sync purposeful with this power of G-Card & screen, should I just turn it off?

Finish:
    (i) The r2 has solved the discoloration issue with the Lunar version with a new external coating.

After The Build:

Cooling:

(i) Run the machine for a while then consider thermal pads and re-pasting when the machine is run in and understood.
    (ii) after the lottery of the silicon, set up thermals for longevity of around 85 degrees for the CPU and 75 for the GPU.
    (iii) AWCC is the only software for fan control.

Under-voting:

(i) Use TS for this and never AWCC? (but don't tell Dell?)
    (ii) figures of between -40mV and -170mV have proved stable.

Bios:
    (i) Dell have locked down the bios, either for technical or commercial purposes?
    (ii) this includes thermal throttling of the GPU

-Is there a current best BIOS to run in terms of functionality, or should I just update it fully?

Torbil:
    (i) This feature is needed to use Windows Hello

-Has anyone found this a useful feature, and for what?
    -Is this just best switched off?

Battery:
    (i) Set the battery to start charging at 50% and stop at 80% in the bios, because of some rapid degradation issues which have been noted.

Software maintenance & Bloat:
    (i) back-up initially so preserve a original clean boot image.
    (ii) backup/re-image periodically because both Dell and Win updates have been causing issues
    (ii) There is minimal bloat but remove all packages from Dell apart from AWCC and the update service
    (iv) http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...it-slider-in-alienware-command-center.833149/

-is there a current Win build that has proved most stable or should I just update to the latest?

Drivers:
    (i) Strip out the initial O/S build of all drivers and reinstall the newest only.
    (ii) There is a current driver .zip package available on the forum.
    (ii) Install drivers one at a time and reboot each time to ensure they install correctly.

-I hope this summary is in some way useful, please advise if i have misunderstood anything,
    -What have I missed here as a potential new owner?
    -Is this the best current advise?
    -Is this budget build representative the current best thinking on this forum?

Many thanks for your efforts here, and for any advise you may be able to offer in advance.

john

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  7. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At 5.2ghz with a -40 voltage offset Im getting about 90C and maintaining 5.2ghz the entire time. For 24/7 use I settle at 5.0ghz and a -110mv voltage offset.

Aroc and pathfindercod like this.
  8. Satanello

Satanello Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your proposal Mr. Fox, for a few days I think I'll continue to test the system then I'll decide whether to keep these Hyperx or not; the XMP 2933 profile is giving me problems maybe due to some higher voltages and a bit '' capricious '' bios that creates big problems with the AWCC fan management when I use XMP.
    I think I'll try to manually edit the Jedec profile by copying the parameters of the XMP 2933 profile with Taiphoon Burner. Anyone tried this route?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. mrbearhand

mrbearhand Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    Not exactly sure when this started.. maybe a couple weeks ago, but AWCC used to run fine, but lately the overclock and thermal tabs under fusion are taking forever to load or not loading at all... I tried uninstalling/reinstalling AWCC and it still have the same issue where the thing just spins and loads forever. Is there a way to fix this?

edit:
    I figured it out. Apparently the OC controls became disconnected at some point during an update, so I had to redownload the driver for that and manually install it. I do remember AWCC prompting me again and again to uninstall/install new OC control the past couple weeks which was really weird.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  10. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for you answer. I have 144 ips on my 51M R1 and i also appreciate very much the color accuracy but Alienware is exchaning my sytem for a new 51M R2 (for the last time since they will void my warranty in May) and i asked for the 300Hz panel based on what i saw from @Spartan@HIDevolution review. He was impressed by the fluidity and i trust his judement. Also most people on this forum like @ratchetnclank and others seems to be impressed not only by the fast response time but also for the quality ot the colors display and i guess contrast ratio had to be good.
    Now the only negative i saw from this panel was the contrast ratio on Dell's website: 800:1. I was wondering if this number on Dell's website was a mistake but don't worry, those are numbers and i will make my own mind when i see it. I will be able to compare with my 144hz and i wil know for sure.

Thanks again brother.

etern4l likes this.