*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Won't work, different DGFF cards.

Have you tried asking Dell for a quote on a 2070S/2080S upgrade for your R2?

Normimb likes this.
  2. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Honestly Dell upgrade prices are insane. It was cheaper for me to get the R2 with 2080S, 10900K, better screen (1080p 144Hz), more RAM, bigger NVME SSD (1TB from 256GB) and since the warranty had expired on the R1, I got warranty too. I had an R1 with 9900 (non k), 2060, 1080p 60Hz display but sold that and paid around $1000 CAD on top for the R2. 2080 for R1 was $1000 USD for the upgrade which was more than what I paid for an entirely new laptop itself.

Dell only sold the upgrade in the US and not in Canada. Had to travel across the border to get the 2080 if I got it through them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Aroc and Normimb like this.
  3. Medoyute

Medoyute Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I typically get notifications from GeForce Experience on updated drivers. I was under the impression that they sorta worked in tandem for updates. I fully understand getting drivers from Dell in terms of optimizations. From past experience with older laptops, after a certain time(usually end of product life), the laptop manufacturers usually stop issuing updates to graphics drivers way before nVidia ends their support.

4. kealuo

kealuo Newbie

Reputations:
    No i haven't, but judging the price for the upgrade kit for the R1 i thought it would be much cheaper to buy it off ebay or third party
    i already bought a vapor chamber
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ALIENW...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Also can any post photo of RTX 2070 OR 2080 super cards, i want to know where the mounting points for the heat sinks are (there's literally no photos of them on the web)

5. Satanello

Satanello Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here my 2070 Super I hope it will be useful. [​IMG]

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

6. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No special eyewear. I'm fine as long as screens are at their minimum setting or don't go over 20% brightness. I don't get eye strain from looking at screens, and that's probably because the brightness is set pretty low.

Just a note, no I am not viewing my screens in a dark room. It's pretty well lit. I do need sunglasses when going outside to see anything more than 4 feet in front of me on a sunny day however.

I don't think those special blue light filtering glasses actually help. I think eye strain is more a function of brightness than anything else.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Did Dell throw this new baby tech down the drain?

Worried About LED, OLED Blue Light Eye Damage? Dell Is
    [​IMG]

etern4l and Terreos like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This was overhyped, as usual with Dell. Many monitors and TVs have blue light reduction mode, plus one can easily do this in software. Windows has built-in night mode which reduces blue light...

Papusan and c69k like this.
  9. Satanello

Satanello Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nothing to do..... In the end I succumbed to temptation.
    I'm preparing some tests to compare the perfirmance difference from 2933 mhz stock memory.
    I'm also thinking about a cpu upgrade (now i have 10700k). It will be possible an upgrate to 10850k? To be sure of compatibility would it be better to put a 10900k?
    The standard heatsink should be ok?
    Tnx[​IMG]

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

etern4l likes this.
  10. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020