*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does that matter as much if you're just gaming? It's not like most people will bring their gaming rigs to play outdoors during daylight.

2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I prefer dimmer screens. They're comfortable for me. I always use screens at their lowest brightness settings since that's normally the only level that's comfortable for me to look at.

1000 nits and over is eye searingly bright and I don't know why anyone would want such a panel. Even 300 nits is getting eye searingly bright to me.

As for sticking to the 300 nit range, it's probably for cost savings.

Justin Stuever likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with you as regards productivity/ SDR content. For me about 50% brightness on a 400 nits panel is about right, but happy to go lower on battery. Higher brightness comes into play with HDR, but HDR on IPS panels tends to be a sad joke anyway.

4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it does especially in a well lit room. Games that are darker also benefit from it. Plus take into fact that these panels backlights degrade over time and dim, you want some extra brightness on top of what you normally use.

kylera, Normimb and Papusan like this.
  5. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I suppose I never really noticed since I've been lazy with replacing my now-dimming bulb in my room.

6. Sohail Mehmood

Sohail Mehmood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive managed to get the interposer board and cables for 72GBP. The problem is its not currently a part which they can officially sell. Atleast this is the UK perspective

pathfindercod likes this.
  7. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) Supposedly from what I have read the 10700 and 10900 models (like the 10700 I have) do not come with the vapor chamber heatsink/fan assembly.
    2) IDK
    3) Having RAID0 present itself as one large drive is a chief benefit. To me the main point is that: RAID0 is a fun toy. It sort of harkens back to when one might RAID0 two hard drives for games to lower load times. That is less of a practical need these days. I still think gaming book with RAID0 is a fun toy to have, so for me that justifies it. This is a personal preference and others will disagree.
    I would still upgrade the memory or storage with larger capacity though. That is always worthwhile. I have have 32GB and 2x1TB RAID0 in mine.
    4) I wouldn't count on upgrades like that from Dell (or Alienware) or much any laptop vendor. It is really best to just get the spec you want when you get it (from factory or 3rd party soon after) because upgrade promises are often either disappointing or don't exactly pan out - either in difficulty, trouble with firmware, or cost to benefit isn't there.

I tend to agree with quan74, they laid the CPU upgrades out for you. I think the 10700 (non-K) is pretty compelling chip. The boost clock is pretty up there (4.8GHz) while the base clock is pretty low (2.9GHz). So with a lower base clock (2.9GHz vs 3.8GHz for 10700K) will get you some great battery life and while having decent all around performance. I would look into the 2070S/2080S upgrades. The 2080S especially would be a very compelling upgrade for gaming, considering you would be coming from the 1660Ti. That would be where I would look.

Though if you do want to upgrade for whatever reason (want or need) it IS great that we have a platform (Area 51m R2) that does allow for socketed hardware and some limited upgrades.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Normimb likes this.
  8. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not 4-5 months but 2 months here! So far the AW Area 51m R2 is holding up great. You can find the SSD heatsinks fairly easy on ebay. I picked up a second one to use with my 2x1TB RAID0 that I picked up 3rd party (it came with a single 512GB from the factory). My usage case for the Alien Serenity is as a personal workstation (mainly programming) with some gaming. I feel I will get 3-4 years out of it easily.

9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I honestly agree. If I’m in my living room I like to have my shades open. So sun light can be an issue with the way I have it setup. I don’t think 400 nits would be out of the question to be a new standard of brightness. But most screens that are labeled as 300 nits are actually 350-370 nits. So most of time you are getting that extra brightness without really knowing it. It makes more sense for smaller laptops as they’re more likely to be moved around and be used I. Brighter settings that might make viewing the screen more difficult. Maybe there is some limitation to making them have a high refresh rate and being bright at the same time?

Really? That’s the first time I’ve ever heard this. Do you have special eye wear to protect your eyes? Only reason I ask is because I always wondered if those glasses for computer use help with eye strain or not.

10. Superbibi56

Superbibi56 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    In my setup, I have 2x1To SSD in raid0 and 2 more 1To SSD non raid.

I made 2 partitions with the raid0, 500Gigs for the system and 1.5Gigs for games.
    The other 2Gigs non raid are used for data and low demanding apps.

But i wonder if that's a good idea.

Having the system and some games on the same physical drives (the raid0), doesn't that make any bottleneck?

My question is, does it matter to have the systems and App/game on different physical drives or I don't have to care about.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020