*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Rounders702

Rounders702 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have r2 with lower spec and looking to do some upgrading this black friday, hope you guys can give some advices to which route i go. Thank you in advance!
    10700, 16GB@2933, 256GBx2 RAID0, 1660Ti, 4K@60.
    Use mainly for adobe apps (photoshop...), also has a S2719DGF monitor to make up the screen "slowness" with gaming.

1) Has two 180W bricks. I know i can upgrade to 10900 without changing anything else. What about 10900K; beside getting a 330W brick, does it use different cooling system also?
    2) Decided on HypeX 32x2@3200 CL20; I look up the spec sheet and both 2933 and 3200 are on XMP profile. Will it still boot on mine even if its running at 2933? (plug and play)
    3) Planning to buy Samsung 980Pro, even running at gen3 its still faster than evo plus. Any reason I should still use raid 0 beside just wanting a bigger singe storage for my boot drive?
    4) I know thats the sole purpose of r3, but should i hold out for rocket lake and pray for a miracle from dell to upgrade the bios?

Much appreciate!

2. quan74

quan74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone here had success ordering the interposer board and cables for the extra 2 nvme slots?
    The only thing I can find is this person on reddit claiming they were able to order (in the UK) https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/...ware_area_51m_r2_solidstate_drive_interposer/

seems ridiculous to blow $200 on 3x 512 drives I don't need just to get the slots. (no 3x 256 option on the us builds that I can see)

etern4l likes this.
  3. quan74

quan74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you are wanting to run the 3200 XMP profile, many more knowledgeable than me here have stated you MUST purchase the system with 3200 memory. Rumor is either the motherboard is different or the bios is somehow locked out of the 3200 profile at the factory if you don't. In my case I plan to go with 16GB of the "Dell special" 3200 (a $49 upcharge) then replace with Hyperx myself.

If you're doing video editing (you mentioned Adobe apps, Premiere Pro?) then I'd look at the 10900 as the extra cores will benefit you greatly there. If you're just doing photoshop/graphics work and gaming, the 10700K would be my recommendation as it should run cooler (and very similar performance) with 2 less cores, and the extra cores aren't going to have a huge impact on photoshop or most games. If you're going to be gaming much I'd also suggest replacing the 1660Ti with a 2070/2080s if its within your budget.

I would not even waste a prayer on Alienware producing a bios update for rocket lake, it would cut into their R3 sales.

Since you already have an R2 and if it is working ok for you, I'd hold out a few months into next year when rocket lake, RTX 30x0 / rx 6000 mobiles will all be making their appearance.

normand668, etern4l and DreDre like this.
  4. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope. called 4 times spent 4 hours plus. got the part numbers eventually and then was told they don't make the parts and I could only back order them and wait.

5. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The build quality and performance of the A51m R2 is great, you won't be disappointed with it. You don't need to replace the paste/delid stock paste with an undervolt is fine. A 10700k should be easier to cool too.

normand668 likes this.
  6. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't had this for 5 months, but 1 month now. If you've done your research by now, you will have noticed a lot of complaints about AWCC. I bought this laptop knowing of this issue, but never realized it would be as annoying as it turned out to be. I have asked about it here to no avail, and frankly, I've just given up on it at this point, and deal with it when I absolutely need to.

Besides that, I don't really have much to say about the hardware. I'm like you in terms of usage minus the dev work, and the laptop tackles them with aplomb. The fan gets fired up when gaming, but that's to be expected. No slowdowns, no freezes (unless mismatched OC as in too much undervolt for too much overclocking was involved), no overheats.

If anyone asks me about the 51m, my recommendation will always be "recommended with reservation."

Edit: I want to clarify that the users here have been helpful with tackling AWCC issues. It's just that the solutions haven't worked for me unless I go nuclear and restore from the last good image.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack

pathfindercod, etern4l and normand668 like this.
  8. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the 10700 and RTX 2060 version, but my power bricks are 180w and 330w ones but I mostly use the 330w powerbrick. So far no issues and the temps are good even in hot weather.

9. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still boggles my mind that these panel makers are still making these gaming screens max out around 300 nits, which is dim and dull compared to today’s standards. I remember the TN panels on the Alienware 17s being 400 to 450 nits and being great. I just don’t get why the 300 and 360hz screens stick to the 300 nit range when many great displays today are 500 to 1200 nits

DreDre, Terreos and jclausius like this.
  10. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had a question. Do people here prefer Intel XTU or Throttlestop for their undervolting. Also which has been more stable in the long run for people who do undervolt. I have used AWCC and have gotten too many BSODs to consider that as an option.