*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah my overclocked 2070S hits 64C max, but the CPU is getting hammered hard in just normal team death match games. Not complaining, as I’m happy to see a game that uses 8 out of 16 threads at 100 percent. Also glad I have 32GB of ram as this game puts me at up to 16.3GB memory usage, another record when comparing to other “last gen” games

2. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems that my CPU does indeed hit 99-100C once in a while during gameplay. But quickly goes back down to 90-95 after a few seconds. While doing that, it does 4.8GHz most of the time with occasional boosts to 4.9GHz

I logged data using HWInfo.

3. luca88

luca88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody
    i would ask somebody who possess the r2 version with the 2080super to share the vbios
    I don't exactly know if it's possible to do, i have an hp omen 17 with intel 10885h and 2080 super, and i would like to flash the 200 watt vbios from the area51, like i did in my previous hp omen with the 2080.
    Now if someone save his vbios from gpu-z and i try to flash it, will it work as did in the 2080 case?
    Thanks

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    MogRules, Papusan, normand668 and 6 others like this.
  5. quan74

quan74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings everyone! Those of you that have had your laptops now for 4-5 months, how are they holding up? Any problems/concerns?

I am strongly considering getting a system with the following specs, With the BF sales and a few stacking discounts I can pick it up with about a 28% discount from "list price":
    i7 10700K; 2070S; 16GB 3200MHz (so I can *upgrade* to 32/64GB HyperX CL20 3200); 300Hz 1080 Panel; 1x 512 M.2 SSD (will add my own assuming I can find the heatsink, interposer board and cables)

I'm a casual gamer, do play some AA titles but nothing hardcore and also do some development work in Linux (usually in VMs). Not really much into OCing, delidding / pasting (though I can and have done it), benching, etc. Mostly I just want a system that performs to spec and lasts 3-4 years.

I previously had an Alienware 15 R3 that was solid as a rock for 4 years, until I had a touchpad button and keyboard problem and entered dell-support-hell. Sadly I agreed to let Dell "compensate" me by replacing it with a m15R3 and I have to say I agree with the "Jokebook" moniker. WTH were they thinking?! You have your choice of portable toaster or portable jet engine. Really hoping the Area 51m R2 can get me back to the performance and quality I had with the 15R3. Sadly at this price point and as lousy as Dell's service has gotten they're still looking like the best bad option.

Edit: Also can anyone confirm the nvme slots on the "interposer" board operate at full speed? I know I saw somewhere you can't raid one of the slots, which is fine more interested in if they are x4 or not.

Anyway would appreciate your thoughts,
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    etern4l likes this.
  6. luca88

luca88 Newbie

Reputations:
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER VBIOS v90.04.96.00.9A

Make sure to right click on the file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before you flash it, you may brick your machine.

To prevent this automatic blocking of files in the future so you don't have to go unblocking every file you download to ensure it runs properly, follow the guide in this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/are-you-sure-you-want-to-run-this-file-yes-or-no.825668/

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you brick your laptop

Vasudev likes this.
  8. luca88

luca88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the sharing Spartan
    This didn't work anyway, bricked, or in any case nothing is anymore displayed, display totally off, I assume the GPU doesn't start anymore.
    Could you please give me some advice about?

9. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Dell order dates are always wrong. I've ordered 2x 51m R2s in last 30 days. Both shipped within 4 days. Both had 30 day out delivery estimates.

10. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    10900k and 2080s I have a custom OC that I limit the cpu to 4.9ghz with a -80mv undervolt. Seeing low 70s on cpu and 60s on GPU after hours of play in new COD CW

Normimb likes this.