*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you mean clearing the CMOS then yes that can force memory retraining. You can also force it by removing the RAM and replacing it with a single stick of something else with different speed and timings. Boot from that, then shut down and install the other modules.

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not quite: You see, when you boot a new AW laptop motherboard (either in a newly built laptop, or after a mobo replacement), on the first startup the BIOS comes up in this special "build mode", which has its own menu etc. Well, that would be a good place to "specify memory speed", i.e. lock max memory freq. Curious if anyone heard of a way to bring that special BIOS mode up, I am sure it would be interesting and revealing. Something to pay attention to if anyone is getting their mobo replaced onsite.

Papusan likes this.
  3. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That also would make more sense to me.

Papusan, Aroc and etern4l like this.
  4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone notice that if you out the System to sleep and wake it up to game the performance is worse? Same gpu clocks, CPU clocks, and usage but lower frames in all games by about 30 percent. Then when I restart the system it’s perfect. It’s only if I put it to sleep and wake it up later to game.

MogRules likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Or... Dell could have a trash bin (MB that didn't survived QC for XMP/faster speed than Intel's specs). Just pick MB from the worse bucket for orders with lower specs. Important info as this can then be added in the Service Tag for own sake (tech support). When the trash bin bucket is empty, just use the good MB all over. No need to mark it as two different MB revisions. You ordered lower specs. Then you can't expect more than you got, afterwards. All roads lead to Rome:)
    upload_2020-11-12_2-13-35.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Terreos, jclausius, Aroc and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hmm, yup. That sounds like something that these nitwits would do.

Papusan, jclausius and etern4l like this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have seen this happen on the R1, but it's very sporadic and I don't use sleep mode either. When it did happen I saw it after running on battery mode and going back to AC mode. It didn't happen every time and just like you a restart fixed it.

Like I said it's very sporadic and it does not always happen after running on battery, it's pretty random. For the most part I don't run on battery much so it does not cause me much grief. The once every few months it happens I just restart and the issue is gone. Ghost in the BIOS maybe. I am running 1.7.3 so maybe it's gone in newer versions, I don't know.

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    This happened with my R1 pretty frequently when I would plug it in from using it on battery. I can’t remember what I did in the bios to get rid of this, but like you mention a simple reboot fixes it. So if you get into the habit of turning off your pc when it’s unplugged you should rarely see it.

Aroc, MogRules and Papusan like this.
  9. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone played the new CoD on their 51m r2? This game chews up and hits the CPU hard. I usually see about 90w power usage from the CPU alone in big games but in this game I’m getting 120+ Watts. CPU temp spikes can be in the 90s after a little while of running this game. (10700k, 5ghz all core)

jclausius likes this.
  10. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I have been playing it. Haven't checked CPU temps. Will monitor it the next time I do. GPU has been doing great for temps. 81C max I have seen in the 3 hours I played it continuously. I have a 10900k and 2080S.