*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan, May 9, 2020.

1. 7onyMustDive

7onyMustDive Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Umm...
    1. Pretty sure under the LCD is the Tobii Eye Tracker, is it not?
    2. What benefit would having an air intake on the LCD? the fans and components are not there.

Or do you mean the R1 has a hidden air intake at the hinge area between LCD and base?? Like the Macbooks and Razer Blades. Could you share a photo of it please? since no online media source/review has ever mentioned it before.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell designed DGFF graphics with VRMs passive cooled on the opposite side of the card. Not beside the graphics die and cooled by the heatsink as all other notebooks. Fans need to pull air from bottom of panel to be able to flush air around the small passive cooled heatspreader for the power delivery.

This cooling design was one of the reasons several 2080 went up to hardware heaven.

3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

If it’s like the desktop versions, the super edition has the much faster GDDR6 vram that can overclock to like 9000+ MHz. This makes a big difference that isn’t shown in reviews because nvidia underclocked the new vram to avoid 2080ti territory

4. 7onyMustDive

Reputations:
    Oh good to know, but I meant on the R1, are there hidden air intakes between the screen bezel and base? like the Macbooks and Razer Blade?

Virale likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, between bottom of the panel and KB. You find the design solution if you download and read the manual.

Ashtrix and Virale like this.
  6. 7onyMustDive

Reputations:
    Thanks, I see it now from here: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-17-area51m-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf
    Looks like the m15 and m17 have them too, so I'm assuming the Area 51m R2 will have both air intakes in the crack and above the keyboard. Also while looking at the keyboard bracket setup of the R1...I have a sneaking suspicion they may have changed the keyboard layout to chiclet style to accomodate for a smaller keyboard bracket to make more airflow from the top for the R2. Just a theory though.

Also in the cutout of the Area 51m R2, what is this component? (Circled in black, I don't see it in the R1 diagrams.)
    thumbnail_85ced538925d9346027ac4d691a79e85.jpg

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and Virale like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    The passive cooled heatspreader for the DGFF graphics. Slightly different in shape vs the one for 2080 in R1.

Ashtrix and Rei Fukai like this.
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It’s the DGFF itself, however, on that render they “moved it” to the right (outward) of the laptop in the exploded view so you can see the entire card (it would be partially obstructed from view otherwise)

They did the same for the processor, which can be seen “floating” to the right of the motherboard, instead of on the (downward facing) socket, where the bracket is also partially blocked from view by the palm rest

R2 will likely only have the hexagonal ones around the alien head power button...

I’ve torn down the R1 completely, there could have been the same air intake cutouts above the keyboard on the R1 as on the R2, there’s nothing but plastic there.

I think they came up with that for the m15/17 after the 51m, and likely saw that it was a good move given the passive heatsink being choked by the barely available airflow from the tiny intakes in the display hinge.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2020
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  9. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the big grill at the top is Ideal for collecting dust and possibly if water droplets get there, it might short the hell out of the laptop.

Virale likes this.
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The vent is the just about full length under the LCD hinge. It is well hidden without flash photography.

[​IMG]

7onyMustDive likes this.