*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1-Follow @Spartan@HIDevolution guide on how to clean install.
    2-After: Go into services and select AWCC (service) and change the startup to AUTOMATIC

Whenever you want to restart AWCC (this will happened often because this software is full of bugs even when correctly installed) this is where you will have to do it. You terminate the service and then reboot it,
    Capture.JPG awcc.JPG

Aroc likes this.
  2. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you to both of you for your tips. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work at all, so I ended up restoring from the most recent drive image (thanks for Macrium, Spartan!), and followed @Normimb's recommendation to set the AWCC service to automatic startup rather than automatic delayed. The worst I lost was my browsing history starting from last night until this morning, so basically nothing of tremendous value.

Now to let Steam continue downloading my games while I go get some errands out of the way...

Normimb and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Neither will AW Umar Khan. I wonder who will be the next http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-2350#post-11053886
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    etern4l, raz8020 and Virale like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    RIP Umar. I've got a few quick change survival tips for the remaining AW employees:

1. Delete your Twitter account - the new boss doesn't like it and neither should you
    2. Community is a dirty word - don't read, or worse yet, participate in user forums
    3. Study Acer designs and implement as many similar features as you can (e.g. soldered RAM, inverted mobo - these help drive the cancerous "community" away which provides a peace of mind in addition to extra profit per unit)
    4. Wear your "Dell" T-shirt and other apparel like you were told. It's OK to wear Acer T-shirts on Fridays, nothing wrong with being aspirational

5. kylera

Reputations:
    I just took a look at the BIOS as I wanted to look for ways to minimize battery wear. I noticed there are two options that prioritize on adapter usage: Primarily AC Use and Custom, where I can set the percentage limits myself.

I’m oh so rarely going to use this unplugged in the first place. Which option would be better, and if custom, what are good low and high limit recommendations?

6. Normimb

Reputations:
    I would like to know also wich one is better. For example: i had my battery replaced a month ago. It showed 2% battery wear for the first 2 weeks (i was happy). Bios was set to adaptative and now 8%wear already!!!
    The previous battey my bios was set to: Primarly AC used. Ater 6 months=20% battery wear!!!
    Seems like adaptative and primarly ACused is not good for longevity.

It seems those battery wear very fast. I understant @Spartan@HIDevolution suggest to set bios to 20 to 90% (something like that) i never tried this setting so far (i don't like the idea of having 90% of battery when i need to use my laptop on battery) . But maybe it is the best setting, i need to test.
    My observation so far has showed me that whenever i completely discharge the battery, then only, the pourcentage drops dramaticaly on the next charge, like 5 to 6 % of battery wear (it used to be different with previous alienware laptop i owned).

7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Custom, leave everything at default which is 50-90 and never worry about the battery

ninedragons, kylera and Normimb like this.
  8. Normimb

Reputations:
    Done!
    Now let's see in a month if my battery wear is stable. Hoppefully better then the other two settings i have tried.

Papusan likes this.
  9. kylera

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks! I just set it, but for now, the laptop will stay idle. I started cleaning my desk to make room for it...which led to me dumping things on the floor or the bed...which led to me pretty much cleaning the whole room.

10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and MogRules like this.