*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and jclausius like this.
  2. andytom69

andytom69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    tks Senso..
    can you recommend a new model? and example the sabrent?
    or don't need the new x4?

3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Given that the Z490 chipset is still "only" PCIe 3.0, a PCI4.0 based NVMe SSD is a waste for now, because your system wont be able to make full usage of it(but it should still be faster since in theory a PCIe 4.0 drive should be able to saturate the PCIe3.0 interface, but if you want you can then use that disk in a new laptop.

For now PCIe4.0 NVMe controllers are more or less just regular PCIe3.0 controllers with the new interface bolted in, as in, better drives will be launched in the future(like the announced new Samsung 980).

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They say no real advantage. I personally tell the snappiness in windows and the programs i use running in RAID 0. I like having one big volume and one drive letter personally instead of multiple letters. Plus the drives tend to run a tad cooler as it is balancing the workload between the 2. I don't care about redundancy that people always complain you loose with raid 0. One i have had a nvme drive die on me yet and ive been using them for years. I also have multiple and redundant backups all the time of important stuff so doesn't matter.

jclausius likes this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    [​IMG] . Then when you couple it with this, there is nothing to fear:

The best and fastest way to backup your data!

And

Macrium Reflect Usage Guide:

Here is how to create a bootable Flash Drive and partition it to have a single USB Stick containing both the Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk and a Backup Image partition in that rescue disk itself. So if you have a large/fast USB Flash Drive, you can use it to both boot into the Macrium Reflect program without installing and use its second partition to create a backup image of your computer

What I usually do when I buy a new computer, the moment I turn it on and before even getting into the Windows setup wizard I boot straight away to the Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk, create a full backup of the local disk including all its partitions. That way I always have a backup of the untouched factory image should I ever need it in case I changed my SSD later or had an issue that prevents me to use the local restore option

6. Arkengelus

Arkengelus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Arkengelus

Arkengelus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They forgot to adjust the heatsink on the cpu and gpu :mad:

The temperatures work normal :)

8. Aorus X5-V7

Aorus X5-V7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone share the vbios of the 2070 Super of Alienware Area-51m R2 please?

9. circuit

circuit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what exactly do I need to add a second NVME SSD?

1. I know we need a SSD Bracket: 3N3W3
    2. Thermal Pad: https://www.amazon.ca/Packs-GLOTREN...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Dell is trying to sell me something called Thermal Grease for $2.99 and Thermal Shelf for $64.99. What the heck is a thermal shelf?

Also is there any disadvantage in running the 2 NVMEs on this laptop. Not in RAID 0. Just 2 separate drives.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:30 PM
  10. tmarshallg

tmarshallg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Circuit, how much is Dell asking for the ssd bracket: 3N3W3? Thanks