*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is too funny. I follow both this owner’s lounge and the Clevo X150 owner’s lounge, and the recent posts for both lounges are about the other side XD

raz8020, jclausius, jc_denton and 6 others like this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I think it’s healthy to know what the competition is doing so you can make an informed choice on which machine you’d want. So it makes sense if you’re in the market for one or the other you’d be keeping tabs on both. And honestly at the end of the day you’re gonna have a beast of a laptop to play games on.

raz8020, jclausius, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  3. kylera

Reputations:
    Oh, research is never a bad thing. I was laughing at the coincidence of it all at that one moment.

Terreos likes this.
  4. sprinkledonut

sprinkledonut Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was wondering if anyone has or could test what wattage the 2080 super runs at when only a single 330w power adapter is being used?

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    True true. It’s just one big circle. :eek:

kylera and Papusan like this.
  7. kylera

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, just how loud do these fans get under medium or heavy load? Do the fans get distracting enough that they interfere with in-game sounds?

I mean, I know the fans are going to spin up fairly often when playing most games, and I’m not really sensitive to noise. I ask out of mere curiosity since I do see a lot of people comment about needing headphones when they play games on any laptop.

8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need headphones if the game is maxing the gpu. If you have frame limited the game and it's not demanding you can get away with a lower fan profile. You could use the speakers but it just becomes harder to discern game audio cues.

Though i always just run it on full speed for gaming and use noise cancelling headphones (Though any kind of headphone should be fine).

Terreos, raz8020, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To build on this answer, it also depends on what kind of person you are as well. Since you're not sensitive to fan noise, max fans may not bother you. I personally don't need headphones when running laptop fans at max. I'm typically too focused on the game I'm playing, and the fan noise just blends into the ambient sounds of the game for me.

10. kylera

Reputations:
    Admittedly I don’t know what to expect. I’m coming from having used a fanless laptop for the past five years, but I do have headphones laying around if it turns out I AM more sensitive than I thought I was.

I’ve done my research and expect fans, and I am pretty used to wearing headphones if worse comes to worst.

normand668 and ratchetnclank like this.