*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK, so back in the day desktop cards drew 180W. Noted, but what's the underlying point? Alienware can't pursue Applesque chassis shrinkage and support growing graphics card power demands at the same time. They won't be able to just stick a 320W GPU into the same chassis, just because GTX 1080 would fit.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why? That's not reality, and also not the way Clevo seems to operate.

How about imaginng Alienware Area51m R(x) WITH Prema! It is too bad Alienware has decided to change course over the years and go in the other direction.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It does and it even exceeds it. I've pulled 220+ through my 1080 but no OC on the CPU

etern4l likes this.
  5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It happened when Dell bought Alienware and they stopped using Clevo as their supplier.

etern4l likes this.
  6. jclausius

Reputations:
    I think that's the correct timing. Regardless, if it was before or after the acquisition, I do know they soon started leveraging data gathered from users like @Mr. Fox and @Prema, so they could learn how to block modifications on how the machine could be configured in their next "patch" of a BIOS.

It's too bad that Alienware, unlike some Clevo resellers, don't understand what "power-modders" can do in help selling their systems. But from their point of view, perhaps they feel they can achieve the same level of performance or come close without the risk of RTMs by customers mis-configuring a machine.

raz8020, normand668, DreDre and 2 others like this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Does Clevo directly employ Prema and pay him to fix their mistakes?

That's why I posed the scenario.

Good on Clevo for not blocking BIOS mods but without this one person doing it everyone else would be assed out.

etern4l likes this.
  8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, @Prema does not work for Clevo. Just have been the bios mod god for laptops for years. Custom builders like HIDEvolution, eurocom use to but I think prema fired them as a client and maybe a few others pay the service.

jclausius and etern4l like this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Rhetorical question.

10. jclausius

Reputations:
    Exactly. Just as Muscle Car modders don't work for auto firms, computer over-clockers and modders don't necessarily work for manufacturers. That doesn't negate their impact for consumers. Trying to say that two products are about equal at stock, but the other one must not be better because it can be modded for more improvement is an argument that really falls flat. The plain fact is that product can still be modded / improved.

I think the bigger point is that some systems do not block modders from tweaking (regardless if it's one person or an army), and yet other companies like those in this forum topic do. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure there are reasons I'm not privy for those decisions.

[ Ending this on my end, since this has been discussed before ]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020