*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, if we compare to older or value/business hardware then sure enough there will be improvement. It just means you've had no better point of reference. However, if we compare to current enthusiast hardware (since with 51M you are certainly getting an enthusiast price tag), it's not great.

I've just treated myself to a 240Hz gaming monitor (AW BTW!), so did some research: no leading options below 1000:1 contrast regardless of panel type.
    Macbook pro retina? 1350:1 https://www.color-management-guide.com/apple-macbook-pro-16-inch-display-review.html
    More to the point, Razer Blade Pro 17 with 300Hz FHD display? "937":1 as measured by NBC: https://www.notebookcheck.net/2020-...you-Really-Need-a-300-Hz-Laptop.477374.0.html

700:1 is just subpar now, even for high-refresh rate displays.

Wishful thinking. Nvidia already switched production to Ampere, and given the RTX 3080 they will obviously want to start cranking those Ampere units out ASAP. Again, it took just 3 months from desktop chip announcement to a new AW laptop last time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Normimb and normand668 like this.
  2. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It might not be as i know a lot of the 4TB drives require more power. I think 4TB works in the main slots but not in the expansions.

I agree that their are better displays out there, i was merely providing my experience. 700:1 might be awful but i'm just giving my perspective and the display definitely doesn't look awful. Of course a desktop display should be such better.

It's not wishful thinking from my behalf, i don't really care about Ampere (ill be surprised if they can provide enough quantity of cards for the needed demand especially as TSMC are in really high demand for fab space at the moment). I would of waited if i was bothered, i'm more than happy with my upgrade over my previous device.

jclausius likes this.
  3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Well, if you are not excited about a new vastly improved graphics processor, then we have less in common than I hoped. I'm also happy with my current RTX laptop (although I'd be a bit annoyed if I bought it a month ago), and yet very happy to see this new, likely much more powerful product, coming to the market.

I wouldn't worry about TSMC, Nvidia have been planning this for a while now:
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-amd-ramped-orders-tsmc-2020/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    normand668 likes this.
  4. ratchetnclank

Reputations:
    Oh don't get me wrong. I love seeing newer faster tech. I just don't need to always own it, otherwise i'd be financially ruined. :)

DreDre, Normimb, Aroc and 4 others like this.
  5. etern4l

Reputations:
    Indeed. No need to own every single faster tech (upgrading from RTX to RTX "Super" would be a waste, for example), the major generational upgrades is where the value is. These pop up every few years, so postponing consumption just before those major leap events goes a long way to getting the most bang for the buck.

Normimb, normand668, DreDre and 2 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You won't see Ampere in notebooks this Christmas/winter. Nvidia will use all Ampere silicon they can make for the desktops. Their old Turing Mobile graphics continue sell as hell. They get double up. A nice way get rid of their old Turing silicon while deliver enough Ampere cards for desktops (to continue stay in front of AMD). Can't be better than this:D

Notebook, mobo, graphic card shipments to sustain growth in 2H20 digitimes.com | Aug 31

Taiwan-based vendors of notebooks, motherboards and graphic cards are expected to sustain robust shipment momentum in the second half of the year, driven partly by stronger-than-expected demand supporting the stay-at-home economy and partly by growing rush orders shifted to them as US-China trade tensions

raz8020, Aroc and jclausius like this.
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Can't see much beside the title which could well apply to the new Ampere units :)

Meanwhile, back in mid July: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...roduction-of-turing-gpus-ampere-is-on-the-way

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Be you sure... They have a enough in stock of the old to be put in notebooks. Ampere is new... And Nvidia will sell ALL available chips for desktops. Nothing left for notebooks. + Nvidia need the time to bin chips for Notebooks. Make castrated graphics cards out of fully working desktop silicon cannot easily be done within a few weeks.

Rei Fukai, raz8020, Aroc and 2 others like this.
  9. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are such a ray of sunshine... ;-) Why do you visit this part of the forum if you despise everything about AW so much? No offense, just curious.

10. ratchetnclank

Reputations:
    He doesn't hate alienware?

He hate certain practices which makes the machines less than they could be and calls out issues objectively. He brings a lot of knowledge to the forums.

Rei Fukai, raz8020, DreDre and 7 others like this.