*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Never have had a problem with running either of my Sandisk Extreme 2TB SSD's, although they run on USB 3.1 through USB-C connection through the port, not TB.

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you install the Thunderbolt drivers from the Dell support page?

3. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    c69k likes this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you not see if HID would extend the return period as a gesture of good will, due to the issues you've experienced up to now? Worth a shot if you do really like the laptop.

5. ErikO

Reputations:
    Hello all,

In my week-long mission to avoid using Spyware 10, I have tried many things, even, oddly receiving much help from Microsoft with 8.1 Pro, but alas with so many missing drivers, MS decided they could not get Windows Update to run, not matter whey they tried. So I gave up on that as I did 7.

The most success I have had is with Windows Server 2019 Standard.

Knowing the similarities between Spyware 10 and Server 2019, I used Driver Magician to extract all of the OEM drives, and was successful in restoring all but two drivers.

However, I am unable to get the RTX2070 driver installed, either normaly, or forced. Same goes for WiFi card. I can live without the GPU for a 'work-partition', but the WiFi would be rather inconvient.

Investigaging the UWP error, it seems Windows is to be come a Walled-Garden, just as Mac OS is. It seems my hate for Windows 10 has found new bounds. I am agahst. I wish Linux would get its gaming-act together, and quick. I was unaware of UWP, and baffeled by the European Commission's actions to fund improvments in many common Windows-based programs, such as VLC Player, Notepad++, 7-Zip, Filezilla, and more. NOW I get it, the EC can see what / where Micro$oft are headed. What a disgrace Windows has become.

CPU-Z Benchmark Win Server 2019 9900K overclock Lvl 2.PNG
    Check CPU-Z performance above using Windows Server 2019^

GPU-Z Benchmark Win Server 2019 9900K - all handed off to CPU.PNG
    ^It seems whillst the Intel iGPU installs and works, normal graphical requests get handed-off to the CPU, note CPU usage under GPU-Z's built-in test.

Unable to force driver for RTX.PNG
    ^ Unable to force RTX driver install. I reckon modifying the Nvidia install package might be the next step. Though I do not expect it to be as simple as matching lines, as I expect there to be no entries for Win Server & mobile GPU in the nvdmi file.

Maybe we need to crowd-fund someone with the skill-set to assist us with our drivers, so we are not forced to use Spyware 10?

I am running out of ideas....

6. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice. I have the 16gb kit incoming as well as my 51m which shipped today.
    Also have a pair of Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe drives on the way for RAID 0.

c69k likes this.
  7. ErikO

Reputations:
    It wasn't that big of a deal - I noted in awe of the cost of actual racing calipers & rotors. Whoa, I thought, there are some seriously wealthy people out there....

I liked the saying in Monaco - they saying is now, "there are the haves, and the have yachts". Nice play on words there for anybody who might consider themselves rich. Took me down a peg or two...

Very funny.

Aroc likes this.
  8. Natouche

Natouche Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Your advices please? :)

9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There aren't really generic settings, you need to use Intel XTU or Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU, then something like MSI afterburner to undervolt your GPU, there are some good guides for using these on Youtube.

Throttlestop Guide: I find this one useful, albeit a different CPU, but it covers most of what you need. Credit to @B0B for this:

MSI Afterurner Guide: @Mr. Fox provided this one, which might help

If you want to get more advanced then you could open the laptop and re-paste both the CPU and GPU and replace the thermal pads.

Once this has all been done, you could finally add a laptop cooler, however, if you do all of the above I don't see this step making too much of a difference.

EDIT: Tried to tidy the post up a little.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Latostno, sidworld, c69k and 2 others like this.
  10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree. Cooler doesn't have that much of an effect thermally. I use rubber laptop feet to elevate the backside of the system and it works like a charm. Although, looking at the videos of the Area 51m, it looks like it has more height at the back then their previous designs.
    I've been using these and they're the awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Cooling-Skidproof-Reduction-Notebook/dp/B0747QSX25

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.