*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The oled panels in the alienware 13 are all Samsung. Which goes back to 2015.

iunlock and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, a new driver has been released for the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. It’s a power and thermal management solution that is used to resolve fan noise, overheating, and performance-related issues of the system. So if anything, it’s worth updating to it to see if it improves temperatures and fan noise for the Area-51M, and the i9 9900K processor’s heat issues.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the oled screen in the m15 is also from Samsung, but those are not TVs :).

This is a quote from the website:

"Samsung sees QD-OLED as a potential competitor to LG’s OLED technology, according to Korean media. The company tried to commercialize RGB OLED TVs in 2012-2013 but had to abandon the project due to low production yields. Plan B involved launching quantum dot enhanced LCD TVs but the world’s leading TV maker continues to lose ground in the premium TV segment to manufacturers of OLED TVs. Samsung is also developing TVs based on microLED display technology."

propeldragon and rinneh like this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Those are their tablet panels, as far as I know they havent produced Oled TV's in recent times

5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Ah yes max brightness would definitely do that as we see on the display model phones at the stores ...

Very nice. Auto-hide is also a good practice for sure. I keep the task bar minimal with a black theme so I've kept my task bar static...

Yes Samsung's technology is RGB OLED vs LG's White OLED, but the main point here is that they are both prone to screen burn in if proper measures aren't taken into practice.

I didn't think the whole TV discussion would get so technical lol.

6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol i would've removed intel DPTF in the first place from my laptop. It's a throttle mechanism designed for Dell to throttle the hell out of their ultrabooks. Ignore and delete it (if you want stable performance) else you'll have to battle the Dell algorithms that are baked in the EC and Bios and you won't get past them.

raz8020, Papusan and iunlock like this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "Yes Samsung's technology is RGB OLED vs LG's White OLED, but the main point here is that they are both prone to screen burn in if proper measures aren't taken into practice. "

"Samsung sees QD-OLED as a potential competitor to LG’s OLED technology, according to Korean media. The company tried to commercialize RGB OLED TVs in 2012-2013 but had to abandon the project due to low production yields."

Samsung RGB OLED does not exist. They use LCD. They could not get enough yields so they switched to LCD. LG is the biggest OLED tv producer after that comes sharp and then Philips. Samsung can only produce OLED to small formfactors (like tablets or smartphones, or 15 inch laptops)

https://www.displaysupplychain.com/blog/will-samsung-return-to-oled-tv

Papusan likes this.
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    raz8020, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah right, interesting. I found these useful notes below for anyone who is interested in removing Intel DPTF altogether.

1. Switch off wifi / lan - YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CONNECTED TO INTERNET otherwise windows will re-install software while you complete other steps.

2. Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. :

UNINSTALL "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from Device Manager"

!!DO NOT RESTART LAPTOP!!

3. Now we need to stop windows from automatically installing it again.

GOTO "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"

Find Folder "esif_manager.inf_amd64_a75284e9a5c086ed"

Open folder properties -> Security Tab -> Click the Advanced Button.

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

Go Into The Folder and delete everything in the folder.

Find Folder "dptf_acpi.inf_amd64_9ae0ce96bc411cd1"

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply
    Go Into The Folder and delete evenring in the folder.

Find Folder "dptf_cpu.inf_amd64_e1adf0f50a965f0c"

Apply

Go Into The Folder and delete evenring in the folder.

4. Switch your wifi/lan back on.

5. Restart Laptop

You should find now that intel thermal framework cannot re-install. You will see in "Windows Update" control panel that it reports that it cannot install it.

ALSO IMPORTANT: You will need to use something like throttlestop to undervolt and keep cpu a little cooler. Without Intel Thermal Framework to trigger throttling if you put cpu under constant stress (video encoding) it will go above 90 degrees easily and when it hits 100 laptop will shutdown.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Papusan, steberg, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't think all forum members use Sammy drives but majority of them opt for Samsung almost 80-85% rest use non Samsung drives including ADATA,Crucial/Micron,Toshiba,OCZ,Intel,WD, Sandisk etc...
    I agree with your statement some drives had issues but it is isolated to few %age.
    I don't think any OC'ing veterans own new AW laptops anymore since they are tired of "you know what tactics employed by Dell" and are very happy with enthusiast class desktop and a laptop <800$ that serves the purpose of portability.

Papusan likes this.