*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you I’ll try that and I’m not getting those speeds I should be getting I can tel because how long it takes to boot and install stuff.

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    HIDevolution update: So Ted from HIDevolution contacted me and offered $150 cash back over the hassle that I had to go through which I accepted. He also told me that they'll be taking steps to make sure that this doesn't happen again. However, being a skeptic that I am, I will be careful going forward and even if you are getting your machines from them, take it apart just to take a peek at the thermal job inside. If everything looks OK, just replace the thermal paste and call it a day. A little insurance by double checking things is better than weeks of wait in the form of back and forth commute of dead laptops.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    May your beast RIP. Before you ship it back to Dell for replacement, take a look at the MOSFETs on the GPU and see if you had a lemon. Take a look here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-922#post-10902592

doofus99 and Vasudev like this.
  4. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No problem!!

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    4K 120hz will work fine. The DGFF graphics card is hooked up to the internal display using eDP 1.4 which supports such resolution/refresh rate.

doofus99, S.K and DannyB513 like this.
  6. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to use XTU for voltage control and not have the voltage fluctuate? I assume this is vdroop or something, but not 100% as I've only just started learning about overclocking recently.

What I mean is if I set my multiplier to 50x and set voltage to say, 1.3v, it will still go above and below that.

I'd appreciate any help with getting the voltage to stay at the voltage I set.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm sort of a newcomer in PC space, didn't even had/saw a PC 20 years ago:p

custom90gt likes this.
  8. bvermeul

bvermeul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's not normal in europe. I got the invoice the moment my system was shipped. After that it took about a week to get to me.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But if you're double checking after doing or choosing thermal mods you're better off with stock dell paste because it decreases the price and you can do repaste or repad yourself.

S.K likes this.
  10. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Think I remember reading somewhere, may have been the TS guide here, that that is caused by LLC (Load Line Calibration). You can fight it by monitoring how much higher it is going over the static voltage you are trying to set and offset that amount on the voltage you are setting.

Ex. You have 1.25v set, but it is pulling 1.29v. Set your static voltage to 1.21 to achieve the maximum you want to hit of 1.25v. Given that you are stable at 1.21.

Won't be perfect, but will help not to go over the amount you want by much if any.

This is the latest response from UncleWebb on Static Voltage in the Throttlestop Guide Thread. If you do not know who he is; he created TS.

"You can use the FIVR Static voltage adjustment in ThrottleStop to request a fixed voltage but there is no guarantee that the CPU you are using will honor that request. I tried this on an 8550U and the static voltage request was ignored. Very few people in recent memory in this forum are using Static voltage. Lots of people with the 8750H are having great success by using the TS Adaptive voltage setting combined with a negative offset voltage of about -125 mV. What sort of problem are you trying to fix by using Static voltage?"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    SacraficeMyGoat and Rei Fukai like this.