*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does it show them as ssds when you go to optimize them?

Also, is the firmware on them up to date?

2. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So came across an odd problem. GPU seems to throttle, but average temps are quite good. Might have to stress test.

3. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well...... now I really have a problem heh. So, I undervolted. I started with -100 offset as per recommended. It worked beautifully at first- in all the same games I ran I was never really getting above 71c on CPU, no more spikes in temps, and my 2080 was even cooler, never getting above 80c. I could even swear my performance was better. I tested different games for about 5 hours with no issues, no heating etc. Then, while playing a game, the laptop shuts down immediately (no bsod, etc).

I think "no worries, must have stressed it enough to do it. I'll back off by 5 and check it again. However, when I pressed the power button, NOTHING. No light, no fans kicking on, not anything. So, I look online and see recommendations to remove battery and hold power for 2 minutes, then try plugging in ac adapters and turning it on.... nothing. I remove battery, remove cmos for about 15 minutes, try putting battery back in and....nothing......

I'm about to go to bed, and I have removed ram, battery and cmos and will let it all sit out for the night (also held power down for 4 minutes before doing that).

I'm pretty concerned. I've already had to have the GPU replaced in this thing and now this. I'm deathly afraid it is component failure like the motherboard or something. No bad smells, no ozone. But not a sign of life when pressing power. I'm hoping someone here can give some hope, bc if I have to send it back from over here (afghanistan), it will be 3 mo this before I see it again.

c69k likes this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Yikes. Sounds dead to me man, unfortunately.

5. Predator2181

Predator2181 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CC8F2B8C-6C44-4E95-94C0-B85DAB3884CC.jpeg
    Ok try this now.. remove xtu and throttlestop.. open command center and make a new oc profile.. disable the gpu overclock and under cpu select manual... put cpu to voltage and cache to extreme left...like shown,,and try..

6. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It has to do with bios I believe . No matter what bios should be able to see them. I updated my old r3 17 bios for the system to see them.
    I might have to downgrade it maybe it’s a bug . My 51m came with the latest bios

7. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Might just have to do a reinstall of windows.

8. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope you do realize that if they are not NVME then they are SATA drives....o_O

Papusan, iunlock and propeldragon like this.
  9. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    And it still should show in BIOS m.2 ssd drives

10. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Run Crystal Diskmark or some other benchmark tool and see if they are getting the correct speeds. If so, I wouldn't even worry about it.

ETA: Also try pulling the CMOS battery before going through the hassles of reloading BIOS or reinstalling Windows.