*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Haha, well, I can assure you that your reassurance is appreciated. I've got experience with quite a bit, but undervolting is an area I'm admittedly inexperienced. Glad to hear again that my worries are not unfounded. I know that you are on mobile, but if you get a chance later to link to something you know is good, I would truly appreciate it. Especially when it comes to that GPU- That things temps frighten me, and this is the second GPU from Dell o_0, so I'm a little extra paranoid.

2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Intel XTU to undervolt. MSI Afterburner to undervolt GPU, or overclock GPU.

Look at a guide for undervolting the GPU as it's a lot more complicated than undervolting the CPU.

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey man,

I’ve got a 9900K and 2080 combo too, but I see way higher temps on my CPU running BFV on ultra, DXR off.

GPU is under control (max 75°-80° C or so, can’t remember), and doesn’t throttle, but CPU does reach 100° C and throttles.

I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 12.5 wmk to repaste, and fujipoly 1.5 mm ultra extreme 17 wmk on most parts and 1 mm fujiploy extreme 11 wmk on the thin rectangle on the GPU. I kept the 1 crappy 2 mm pad next to that because I didn’t have pads thick enough. I also repadded the passive bottom heatsink. All pads make good contact and I tested pasting, it looked good.

I undervolted CPU by -85 mV with Throttlestop, maintaining stock clocks. I undervolted the GPU too to 975mV max voltage.

I used thermal grizzly's suggested paste spreading tool, and am suspecting a lot of air gets trapped in it when spreading.

Other than that, wtf?!? My temps are out of control and practically the same as factory stock.

Latest BIOS, 200W VBIOS are installed.

Any thoughts? @iunlock please help?

4. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Just thought I would attach a pic of my Intel XTU screen prior to me making any changes. Does this all look correct to you guys? If so, I'm tracking that I just need to move the Core Voltage Offset slider to the left and start with about -100 and go from there stress testing each time.
    Screenshot (9).png

iujona likes this.
  5. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.
    So my GPu temps were above my comfort zone. did quite the research on properly undervolting a gpu that is engaging boost frequencies, but not at max frequency essentially downclocking the boost frequency, and also faces power throttling at the same time.
    Was a little hectic, but managed. And am really happy with my GPU temps that practially never go above 75 degrees, but is most of the time lower than that.

So now that I have good results with my GPU, do you reckon I should also Undervolt my CPU. Of course here it's much simpler. Basically move the slider and do some testing, of course with reasonable values.
    I'm asking this because I already had from the start great CPU temps with this machine. Never reached 80 on the harshest of games. (it's the 9700K by the way). Or should I still do it simply for good measure. After all, even lower temps and lower power consumption is always good right?
    So What do you guys reckon I should do?

6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like dell just updated me and it now shows my replacement(with all the free upgrades) should arrive by May 2 instead of May 7. Very fast service, only about a week wait for a new system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wonder if you'll get the model with updated VRM's. Care to share pics when it arrives?

8. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    According to the rep I’m in contact with, the problem was addressed and any new model has the “fixes”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow God and LegionWolf like this.
  9. MH01

MH01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys.

Is it normal to be invoiced, and not have the system delivered , looking at delivery estimates , it will be around 2 weeks + after invoice .

The part that annoys me, is that the warranty started at invoice date, so will loose 2 weeks at least. Used to apple when I get invoiced and warranty starting at delivery . Day or two is okay, not 2+ weeks ....

propeldragon likes this.
  10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    AW themselves said it was TN on YouTube