*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I might just do that. So you also feel those temps are too high?

2. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I usually show people this when it comes to how to apply thermal paste. I just do the pea method and it has always been fine for me. Do extensive testing!
    93C for CPU is OK, but not good. If that is your max and it is usually in the 80s you are ok. GPU being over 83C is generally NO NO and is irregular.

Are you undervolting at all? CPU+GPU? I know a lot of people only undervolt CPU since it is very easy to do and not time consuming, but undervolting the GPU is valuable as well (check b0b of all trades vid on youtube about doing this in Afterburner).

The Area-51m is a thermal disaster without an undervolt, no matter the paste job. I didn't read all of your posts if they go back several pages, so sorry if I'm retreading. If you have the 9900k you will always have a bit more to do to keep it thermally happy.

3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's awesome! My system should be here in a few weeks fully repasted, delidded and repadded from HID. Although, I'm having a buyer's remorse as to which color I should opt for. I just came back to Dubai after 3 months and plan to got to Deira city center to see the colors personally tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolt is a necessity, you can drop 10 to 15C easy on average with a good undervolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickDragon and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey @Ultra Male, do you use your SSHD for games at all? How do you find it? Cheers

EDIT: Ignore this, don't believe you even use SSHD, no idea why I thought you did.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The much better desktop cooling is more forgiven and will always give better thermal results whatever method you use. You get higher pressure from Heatsink on top of IHS and more even heatsink surface.

Pea method
    [​IMG]

X-cross
    [​IMG]

Ashtrix, raz8020, Niarus and 3 others like this.
  7. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay, so I just spent $70 on cooling stuff. I got the TG Kryonaut for the CPU and GPU.

I've never bought thermal pads, though. I want the best.

I bought these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJQDYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJQLME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So a 1mm and a 0.5mm; both 17 W/mk. Good reviews.

Anything I should be worried about? Anything else I'll need? Does anyone have pictures of where they placed their pads, and which thickness they used in each spot?

8. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I probably will just go back to using pea method if these temps dont stabilize. I only tried spreading as it is what kryonaut suggested. I have the 9900k and the rtx 2080. So no long term 93c for CPU and nothing higher than 83c for the 2080. Got it.

I will admit, when I first got this thing from Dell the CPU and GPU temps were both high 80s and low 90s during gaming. These temps I have now are actually slightly better, but I've done no long term gaming yet.

As far as undervolting, does this slow games down, etc? Probably a stupid question.. and either way, does anyone have a really good guide they trust for how to undervolt the 9900k?

I was hoping my temps were ok, but now I'm paranoid haha.

9. blazkowicz009

blazkowicz009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got it on 15th march with core i7 - 8700, 16gb ram , 2080 1tb hdd

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No it does not effect performance, unless you are crashing from too much of an undervolt. Start at -100mv in XTU and decrement by 10 while testing stability each time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk