*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what was the part about you are the only one who knows what you are doing when it comes to OC rtx gpu and you are world no.1 BS this and that? ya just what i thought.

a little sense of humility goes a long way. instead of boasting, try being a bit more humble

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Would undervolting help more for the RTX 20XX mobile series? Or is there more things going on this time around preventing better performance?

alexnvidia and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    It’s not BS if it’s true though. He’s legit world #1.

4. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are good reasons why many are scared of ngreedia. almost 3 years waiting and they gave us a laptop GPU that's slightly faster than GTX 1080 while jacking up the price and making us pay for features that are either half baked or MIA. some of you might be well off or have easy access to new laptops, but the fact is most of us dont and it's our hard earned money that goes to ngreedia (it's not like we have choice or anything. AMD where are you??) speculations tend to arise when something gets overcharged and underdeliver. and when solid reviewers like Jarrod'sTech showed the whole world how poorly rtx 2080 OC, one can't help but wonder what's really going on here. sure some might say it's all speculation, but others (people like me) would argue otherwise based on educated guess.

We all know Turing is a HUGE GPU, and when it comes to huge GPU, chances of failure or poor performing chips are high. that's just the nature of silicon manufacturing and nothing goes to waste. for example, certain defective die areas gets blocked off and they market it as a lower tiered product (ie 2060 is a recycled 2070 that didnt make the cut). this is called die harvesting. those that dont make the cut for desktop 2080 might just get recycled, reduced clocks significantly and marketed as MAX Q or laptop lower clocked GPU. OC GPU is not rocket science, not if you are not aiming to be world "no.1". Having stability issues at just over 70MHz OC sounds off.

having said that, we definately need more data from more 2080 OC to determine if this die harvesting theory is correct.

5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    16 more days. . .come on dell be a pal and send mine early. :D

BTW my Area 51m back pack got delayed till feb 19-21. Which is fine as I don't have a use for it before then.

6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It must be a real kick having 9900K !!! I am so hungry for tweaking a new laptop. My next will be definitely with an unlocked and desktop processor. The new laptop will have to have 10-bit OLED 120Hz G-sync, otherwise no deal.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Yes. Just like all the other versions before it. You need to undervolt the card to stay below it's 150W ceiling.

Rei Fukai, ssj92 and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally after overclocking several different 10 series cards. Your gpu is definitely more efficient. Never been able to use that high of voltage without hitting the power limit. Under air of course.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Mine is more efficient because mine are pretty much always modded. We don't sit and "Drink the Nvidia kool-Aid" Why do you think most people want PremaMod systems? Because the GPU and bios are almost always modded my friend.

Edit:
    For the record, the 1080N was able to reach 300+W. This can never be done on "Stock Firmware"

Rei Fukai, Vasudev, ssj92 and 4 others like this.
  10. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly why I went for the P775 from HID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashtrix, ssj92, raz8020 and 2 others like this.