*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. area51m

area51m Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have broken my raid up also to have a dual windows 10 boot, one for games/work.

dells os recovery software has 2 options the second windows 10 image will have no drivers etc.....so i used the first option and it downloads a cloud based image and installs it.

had to do that twice, i updated drivers etc and now have 2 perfect bootable options.

the cloud image does not contain the mcaffe anti virus that was included with my laptop when it was fully stock.

but anti virus is a virus in my opinion and i wont miss it.

also removed the 1tb mechical hybrid for a samsung evo 2tb .

boot times and loading from raid have not really changed so i wont miss it.

plus if ever a m.2 goes out i will have the second m.2 that should function , one other note is the dell skyhnix firmware updater for the m.2's kept freezing so i couldnt preform the update.

i think this laptop will last me many many enjoyable years.

enjoy your a51ms as i now i am.

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wasn't talking to you about the Acer as you've already pointed out it is soldered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EurocomT...ter.com/EurocomTech/status/920671770755166208

But there is an RX 580 MXM, even een RX 480

Attached Files:

raz8020, Papusan, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On A51M it will not work because nvidia GSYNC will break on AMD cards.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah that's true. But since Nvidia nowadays supports freesync up to a certain degree, it's just a matter of time when we can choose between Gsync or freesync (in the same monitor.) NVIDIA tried to make it proprietary on PC's while on laptop Gsync already works according to the freesync method (without extra hardware just software).

That's why Nvidia can "license" freesync monitors to use Gsync. They already use a freesync form for laptops, all that has to be done is to make that mode switchable (like with optimus). Could be a registry setting (bit i'm thinking bios in combination with kernel)

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That won't work because Dell and others paid huge premium to get custom panels certified by nvidia for GSYNC. Opting for FS2 will ruin the investment and you can say 500-600$ is saved w/o GSYNC and with Fressync compatible panels. Nvidia won't allow it at the end of the day.

6. Alan Fagner

Alan Fagner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How embarrassing was most of the vitams of the 51m area, I was playing the division2, when I see a smoke come out in front of the monitor and soon after the notebook turned off at once, what a disappointment so expensive notebook with poor quality, it only takes 10 days I'm with him, to make matters worse I'm with him in Europe and I bought in USA, I do not know how the support will be done :(

SlickDragon, raz8020, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  7. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ouch, another one bites the dust. What bios are you on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also have my monitors/TVs super dim, even while playing. My TV for console gaming is set to 0 brightness, and I think I have this laptop a little less than 50%, and my external monitor at 0

9. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there any way to make the rainbow effect while starting the laptop permanent?

10. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, you need to go into the FX settings in AWCC, I believe its under the advanced lighting option