*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Found it too, weird site...first time it showed the i7 9700 option (is it really non-K?) with RTX2080 for around 3440, then I simply did a search for "Alienware 51m 9900k" on their website and could configure one for 3518. Well for 78eu difference I might just take the 9900k.

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    but Acer sadly has. And if Acer can do it, AW sure as hell can do it too.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-predator-helios-500-amd-ryzen,5566.html

3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yup good ole Clevo days. I remember like it was yesterday getting 3 warped vapor chambers in a row. A few members here having to use shims to make things work right on their Clevo.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Naked "out of the box" benchmarks??

You know that the AW tuning integrates XTU so you can tune it / undervolt quickly out of the box. Might as well do some fan curve tuning - at least select a profile to base your custom settings on and benchmark from that first.

Do some OC'ing... you get the idea, it's all there "out of the box".

No need to publish "undressed" benchmarks. ;)

I thought the thermal throttle point for AW was 100c? I see the 91c top temp is in red, which is they way to indicate thermal throttling, yet I don't see it elsewhere, maybe get a newer hwinfo64 download - beta maybe?

So getting to your question, 91c is "nice" especially for an AW unit out of the box. Is the 100% fan setting "out of the box"? I thought auto-fans was the default setting? What is the default AW performance profile setting - and what are the default's within that?

You should be able to select the highest performance profile, then start tuning undervolt, fan curve, GPU, etc, and within 15 minutes get it nailed down, as you as you don't get too ambitious with undervolt settings.

Look at the other posts, -100mV CPU and 900mV(?) GPU, or some such, I haven't double checked, do some searches for the ideal range to try.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Papusan and mason2smart like this.
  5. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a pretty good jump in performance from 1080 to 2080, I mean we are breaking 30k graphics scores in firestrike. A stock 1080 scores about 21k while this stock 2080 (200w) does around 27k+. Add in the cores needed for RTX and it’s pretty impressive. Dell made the gap much better for us by giving us a 200w version of the 2080. Most other laptop 2080s are only scoring 24 to 26k max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickDragon and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    What are the power / thermal increases between 1080 @ 21k vs 2080 @ 27k?

Now that you've found / compared the extreme edge performance that can't be used for gaming, how are the everyday settings benchmarking for the 1080 / 2080?

Is the % FPS increase at the end of the day worth it? Is that difference really large enough to be considered worth a 2 year wait and is it truly the result of a full generational jump?

zdroj, raz8020, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  7. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Received my replacement laptop on Wednesday. So after exactly 1 month waiting, I got the laptop.

I simply re-installed the 970 pro I had from the machine that died. Had to uninstall and re-install alienware command center and Dell Support assist due to some issue. Apart from that everything works perfectly fine.
    No back light bleed, no slight wiggle on the touchpad anymore. CPU temps are a lot better, GPU temps are a little worse. Did a Timespy test and scored almost 100 more on stock settings compared to the laptop that died.

When playing metro exodus. CPU temps wouldn't go above 65. While GPU would hit 80-81. (was playing it on external 4K monitor)

I also added a cooler master u3 plus. But somehow that doesn't seem to make any difference.

So yeah, looking good so far, hoping it will stay like that, although the GPU temps are a little too high for my comfort.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    As I've said many times to many others, if you can tune the IPS display - reduce the brightness and adjust the contrast to reduce the effect of the "glow" enough to "live with it", and everything else on the laptop works AOK, then keep it.

Sending in RMA often results in problems other than the screen being created. Swapping for another unit with "less" glow is similar, you may get other problems, or a weaker CPU / GPU result.

Be happy with what you have has been a guiding factor with IPS "glow" issues.

You could try to pop the bezel off and adjust the display hangers, the pinch points yourself, or ask for a Dell in home mechanical tuning of the display to reduce the glow.

The "bad" bleed situations are the bright radiant ray's caused by serious pinching, you don't have that, so I would try display tuning to see if you can make it livable.

Many IPS displays are too bright at 100%, 40%-60% is often enough indoors, try reducing the display brightness to the lowest brightness for use indoors and see how that looks as far as IPS "glow".

Papusan and mason2smart like this.
  9. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a 17 R5 with a 1080 and I can definitely see the difference In gaming. I’m playing destiny 2 locked at 144fps while my 1080 would fluctuate between 90 and 115. I see a nice bump in BF5, black ops 4, forza horizon, etc. But like I said I’m gaming with overclocks that are keeping me in the 2ghz plus range on the core, so I’m seeing a great boost. Add in RTX effects and it’s a pretty sweet package and upgrade. As for power and thermals, I can only say that the 2080 does run hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    indeed it says 9700, but it's the K version, when I ordered mine it also didn't mention K.
    And many people indeed choose the i9 9900K, simply because it's a relatively cheap upgrade when looking at the full price, and because it has a name. i9 vs i7. of course it's better for showing off.
    Other than that, the temps of the i9 cpu's are far out of my comfort zone, especially if you have a unit that is slightly worse in terms of thermal application, causing the cpu temps to actually reach 100 degrees, causing the machine to throttle slightly.
    Throttling isn't necessarily the issue, but I don't think that having such high cpu temps is healthy for the cpu in the long term.

But of course, this is just my opinion, if yo uthink otherwise, by all means go for it, as it is like you mentioned relatively cheap.

SlickDragon, Vasudev and hmscott like this.