*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. andrew bentley

andrew bentley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks ill try that today

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    S.K likes this.
  3. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Might have to do some DIY to get the heatsink to sit flush, but I'd be interested in knowing if it works.

S.K likes this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think this may have been answered quite a few pages back, but does anyone remember what size pads are needed for the 51m? I'd like to swap them out for higher rated pads at some point.

Also curious how much to buy. I see they typically come in a small strip, like 1x5 or something, I just want to know how many of each I would need as they're quite expensive for such a small pad. I'd imagine I would need atleast a couple of each, but I'm not sure and would like to find out before I start purchasing them.

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    F
    From my experience, it's always better to buy more than you need instead of getting stuck because you lacked enough thermal pad needed to cover half of the last remaining chip. This is one of those things that I like to buy generously and in all different sizes. 1mm and 0.5mm both. I generally buy both and stick the thinner one in first and tighten the heat sink back as a test to see if the fit leaves a mark on the thermal pad which indicates that it's a good fit. If there is no mark then probably a thicker pad is needed and i'd replace it with a 1mm pad instead. This is one thing that I'd NOT want to compromise on in any way and having 2-3 packs extra lying around in the drawer is always good as in the future, when you decide to pull the cpu out for a repaste, some of the dried up thermal pads will break off and you'll need to replace them.

c69k and Amroth like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Might was well return it. I think Dell internally knows there's problem with 2080 DGFF going dead. That's why they haven't charged your credit card.

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    As per HIDevolution, their contact inside Dell says that Dell has fixed the 2080 packages in the new shipments and this is primarily the reason behind recent shipment delays. I hope Dell was able to fix the problem with these cards.

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Care to ask them what exactly they did to fix the issue?

Maybe @Ted@HIDevolution knows?

zdroj and Vasudev like this.
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well... it seems like i'm the unlucky guy here...

The repair didn't last.... a whole day...

After the repair and the change of the graphic card + motherboard the computer ran without any problem... I let my computer on a 3 hours FurMark benchmark... this morning my computer was still running and fine....

I woke up my daughter and just during that time i came back on my computer to see that it shut down in the exact same way :

- Couldn't turn it back on
    - One of the power supply has the light off
    - The same (light) smell of burned component on the vents

I'm on call with Dell right now they're talking about changing the power supplies / connectors or i don't know TF...

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe applied firmware level fixes to limit TDP to 100W on 2080. Normal end users won't even notice it and maybe @ssj92 your feedback to push VR limit might come as fix in new update w/ downgraded GPU performance.
    Hardware level fixes will take a long time since you need to replace entire mobo with new revision and its quite limited.