*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No idea, have not reached the 84C temp thresholds. But probably accurate or close to accurate. What I mean by "normal performance" they are not slashing the GPU 50% across the board like the "COOL" profile.

@Mythbuster wanted to know if the Notebookcheck article was accurate, and it is not (They said only performance mode worked, and the others slashed the clocks)

SlickDragon, raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Pretty sure Prema was meaning "Since Development"

In which case that was a 150W base from NVIDIA. And they bumped it all the way to 180W on release, and 200W shortly after release. They may not have done any voltage tuning from 150W to 180W to begin with.

4. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    SSD heatsink is not necessary. It's more of a fashion accessory ;-)

5. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so what you are suggesting is that at the current 200W state, the large passive heatsink is not enough to dissipate the heat generated by the VRMs/MOSFETs?

6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Would it be better to just choose one voltage and undervolt the whole curve (CTRL + L method) or would it be more beneficial to tune each point (way more time consuming)?

BTW nice to see you around here again. ;)

Hmmm

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    It will definitely decrease temperatures, but if there is no performance difference - why bother? Reminds me of all desktop RAM that is sold with fancy heatsinks ;-)

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Because if it's running cooler the SSD won't die hella fast.

My SSD in my AW 13 R3 went from 100% life to 97% life within a few weeks because it kept hitting 99C+.

Kinda wish AW designed the cooling so it would suck air from the speaker area like the P870DM from Clevo. Then it would help cool RAM & SSD.

IXVIXXII and c69k like this.
  9. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    It actually hit 99C? Wow, the cooling is really bad on this model. Alienware definitely should've added more vents above the drives.

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I said AW 13 R3 which was their 13" model. I used some thermal pads and mini heatsinks in that model to fix things up.

In this model with heatsink it performs fine in everyday tasks. However things like benchmarking or long heavy file writing brings temps up high as well into the 90s. There's two sensors in HWINFO and we still don't know 100% which one is the correct one or what they belong to. Sensor one stays 50-60C in most cases with peaks to 70C. Sensor two is around 60-70C with peaks to the high 90s, sometime 100C.

c69k likes this.