*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Rocktaze

Nevermind, I found it, I had to go to the home screen of the AWCC

2019-04-01_173620.jpg

Rocktaze likes this.
  2. Xiranhi

Xiranhi Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered an Area 51m 9700k/RTX2080 last week. When browsing through this thread I got cold feet and decided to call dell (Netherlands) to cancel my order. My order was supposed to be delivered before 29/04/19.
    The guy on the other end asked me why I was cancelling, I told him about this thread and the burning issue concerning me. He told me that they are aware about this, he called it capacitor issue with GPU (I never mentioned GPU, he told this). He told me it was due to a manufacturer issue (not dell) which is fixed now but that this is still causing delays while demand is quite high.

As I ordered with 3 years of warranty, I am leaving the order in. Fingers crossed that all will be allright with this fix!

SlickDragon likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Azor and his second in command Umar has been silent as an oyster the last days. Maybe some should tweet both and ask whats correct?

4. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In order for AWCC to work with XTU or Throttlestop.

You need to set whatever fan profile you want, disable all OC'ing feature and than reboot your PC.
    Once your PC is rebooted your fan profile will be loaded automatically, make sure not to open AWCC and you can proceed using XTU or TS.

Home screen to activate it.

5. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had a rep tell me some weeks ago not what the issues were, just that the issues were fixed...yet more cases of conflagration kept popping up.
    Sales reps get paid to make sales, and I can only surmise the conditions of employment that they might be subject to...

That being said, I don't think there is any doubt that some GPUs have been at fault, as was reported to you. @QUICKSORT was told it was a motherboard issue, and I don't doubt that some faulty MBs have been the culprits as well. There may also be other defects that have been responsible for units burning up.

No matter how you slice it, "you pays yer money, and you takes yer chances."

Good luck!

6. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell support is literally the worst and those of you who have extended warranty should really be thinking twice. In their terms it states at any time they can forgo the in home repair and force you to send the machine via post to their depot. This can take weeks. They dont care if you run a business and need a machine, and from my experience would rather refund the machine than be proactive.

zdroj likes this.
  7. Rocktaze

Reputations:
    Latest new i got from Umar is the following (Friday) :

1. There is no recall/revision on any Hardware at all.

2. They have all the burned unit (7-8 units) in hands at Alienware HQ and are preparing a Bios update to fix potential issue. (Possibly a power delivery issue)

3. The failures rate is extremly low right now, they have shipped thousands of units and they are happy with the failure rate.

4. The current delays are due to high demand (Screen/CPU)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  8. Rocktaze

Reputations:
    I and most user are experiencing no issue at all with their units.
    Defective units exist among all product and is no different for Dell.

you don't own the product so all you do is speculate.
    Bring content to the conversation or go spread your negativity somewhere else.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Lets say Dell pushed out +7000 units. With 7 failed as they claim this will be 0.1%. You think the failures rate is that low? If so... I would call it exceptional. Rather say amazing good numbers. Why would they then see the need for a bios update to fix sub 0.1% ? They aim for 0.0%? Number like this is to good to be true.

Kormi likes this.
  10. Rocktaze

Reputations:
    I had a good conversation with Umar and i have no reason not to believe him, he was really honnest with me and i gotta give him credit for that.
    I think their failure rate is low and that they care about this new Area-51M and they definitely wanna make it right. They know they failed on many level with their past product and they wanna change that.

How many company reply to their customer like Umar and Frank has done during the past month? Not so many ... so kudos to them.