*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. AllPowerfulArcadia

AllPowerfulArcadia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

You say that, but we just added another user that has the full HID treatment and STILL died on them, (didn’t you see the post?) To me it sounds like we should hold on to our wallets and wait and see when this “fix” gets released. Since your in Dubai, I know you’ll be pissed if the same happens to you after the end cost to get yourself one that has been “cherry picked”. IMO, after reading about the user that just posted about his dead HIDevolution Alienware 51m (lasted about a week) that tells me it doesn’t matter where you get it from. Dell needs to make it right with all of our laptop gaming brethren that bought this machine and rectify the issue including all of us that are waiting for ours to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raz8020, Falkentyne, DrewN and 4 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What Cpu... Does this matter? Nope. But 9700K will pull less power vs. 9900K. Aka less stress for the power delivery.
    I haven't dismissed nothing. I said fix the flaws first if you have all too high Cpu temp from the beginning. I'm all in for best possible temp. For the records... Not all get exactly same reduction in Cpu temp with delidding and lapping of the Cpu silicon. And don't compare results from desktops better cooling vs. Dell's laptop heatsink and cooling.

jclausius, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  3. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did i say this? Nope.

I was just wondering that most of the blown a51m had an 9700k equiped... nothing more.

hmscott likes this.
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How is this game to play key keyboard and mouse?

5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did we not sort of agree that it is the VRMs on the GPU card that blow?

SlickDragon and hmscott like this.
  6. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’m playing with a Xbox One controller.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Damn man, where's that post from that user? I just woke up so I didn't see it.

This is why I switched my order to the Alienware m15. Despite all that HIDevolution can do to make this work, I didn't wanna take any chances

Now the good thing about Dell is I can freely transfer the warranty to the local Dell Dubai but the issue is, if something happens, they probably won't have the part(s) and I might end up waiting forever for them to come or a new system to be built and relaced.

8. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not convinced that this is a generic problem serious enough to warrant a recall. I lived through the Note 7 fire nightmare. Although this sounds similar, I have yet to hear confirmation from Dell that the problem is repeatable and requires corporate/regulatory response. The 51m failures remind me more of the issues we had been seeing with the desktop RTX cards. There, consumers questioned why Nvidia had not instituted a recall. It turned out that the alarming number of card failures was in line with the expected number of card failures.

The issues we are seeing with the 51m are awful for the customers affected. A lot of other customers have not had any issue. If you want the 51m, by all means purchase the laptop. There is no technical reason why you should not. As a piece of mind, make sure you also get a decent warranty. There is always a risk to purchasing a high end laptop. Brother @m4gg0t has been unable to overclock his system without thermal problems. At least with HID Evolution, you will get lifetime technical support should problems arise after the warranty ends.

9. AllPowerfulArcadia

AllPowerfulArcadia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

@Ultra Male, here it is. Now, from what I remember every failed area51m we have logged had the 2080 right? If that’s case then it’s the custom 2080 Dell made for this laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Ouch, that's a real bummer now man as he did mention that the temps with the cooling mods were great so it's not a heat issue of the CPU or GPU. Possibly the VRMs. I so wanted this machine to work man but thank God the events turned out this way and I ended up not getting it. See this post please: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...vs-alienware-m15.827808/page-11#post-10884605