*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  2. gabswiss

gabswiss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Black. Thats right after I cancelled my previous order that I placed two weeks ago.Usually you can’t cancel an order that’s in production so that tells me my previous order hasn’t even made it to production :(.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You still have way too much Voltage. You need to switch to static voltage and adjust. Use throttlestop. If I recall from my testing 4.7GHz was a little under 1.25V

4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My understanding from watching Derbauer is, like @Papusan stated, that the problem with the 9900K is the thickness of the die itself. the solder certainly adds another layer of thickness, plus any concavity with the IHS itself. But compared to the 8700K, the 9900K die's thickness is preventing more heat from effectively being conducted out of the chip. Delidding and scraping the solder off can help with temps, but the most bang for the effort comes with lapping both the IHS and the die.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lapping is a bit beyond the effort of delidding, and the 9900k is a bit tougher to delid to begin with. I wouldn't suggest trying lapping right off - even der8auer did the tasks in stages - measuring the delta's as he went.

Stock to delidding + LM der8auer had a 9c reduction before he lapped the silicon. It's not the 15c-20c reduction from delidding the paste IHS CPU's, but it's significant enough to consider.
    der8auer 9900k delidding results.jpg

der8auer went further, lapping the 9600k, which someone can certainly do for additional temperature reduction:
    9900k delidding + lapping temp reduction.jpg

TechYesCity had an only 6c reduction from delidding - differing results due to the CPU specifics or technique, or some combination. It's more of a temperature reduction than I've seen changing pastes, which people do incessantly even when it's not getting them the reduction they need.

Caseking (de8auer's company) sells pre-delidded and re-IHS'd CPU's, so you don't have to do it yourself. If you are going that far maybe consider getting a less intense desktop CPU for a laptop, like a 9900KF, 9700K/KF, or 9600K/KF - if the AW BIOS will support it correctly.

@Papusan dismissed delidding the 9900k out of hand, I wanted to point out that there is something to gain by delidding, even if it's not as much of a reduction as with paste IHS CPU's, done carefully it can help.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    SlickDragon, mason2smart and iunlock like this.
  7. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am starting to get worried about mine. I too have 9700/2080 configuration. My right side vent gets crazy hot during gaming. It gets hot within 30 minutes. My cpu consistently stay in 70-75 range while my gpu averages 82-84.

propeldragon and mason2smart like this.
  8. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you. I didn't know that.

Another couple of questions for you guys.
    1. Is it needed to disconnect the battery before changing the RAM or the SSD sticks?
    2. Is it possible to bypass the battery and run the laptop with the ac power and battery disconnected?

I'm still waiting for my order to deliver, but it's gonna be a very long wait, since it has been delayed to 5/May. I bought it on 14th March.

9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's always best to unplug the battery before changing hardware.

The system will run fine with Battery disconnected.

Vasudev, hmscott and Xatanú like this.
  10. Lantea

Lantea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually its way more then "$200 or so" especially when Alienware has an offer code available. Right now I can get an i7-9700k, rtx2080, 16gb ram, 250gb ssd, 144hz etc, from Alienware for $2,904.99 while at hidevolution.com the same setup is for $3,709 that is a huge $804 difference.
    True that Alienware now runs the save 17% promo, but I have never seen any similar promos on HID.

So while true you will probably get better QC and less hassle with ordering at HID you also pay a big premium for that, not a small one.