*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So glad I ordered from HID where I don't have to worry about QC issues. Got my laptop on Friday and it is immaculate. Absolutely no back light bleed, no scratches, no worries about thermals. Will be glad when work slows down and they release the new BIOS this week so I can benchmark this baby. Don't want to mess with pushing it too hard until the new BIOS releases.

2. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Yup, that's the benefit of getting a machine from HIDevolution, it takes all this hassle and fiddling out of the equation. But no, people wanna save 200 or so bucks and end up suffering and eventually returning the machine and going through the hassle. Time = Money. Many people can never realize that.

3. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for, which sucks since even through Dell these things are not cheap, but they are mass assembled in China in a factory that probably makes about 15 different laptops at a minimum and QC standards aren't very high. Well worth the extra money for the peace of mind. Only thing I have to worry about is what might end up being the problem with the burned out ones; subpar components being used which HID has no control over.

4. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    haha.. exactly what i thought. glad you got it sorted.

raz8020, IXVIXXII and Vasudev like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, 10c between delid paste vs LM, and 6c between delid solder vs LM, makes it a tougher choice, but less temp is less temp - and TechYesCity's results also included more even temps across cores and more stability with less voltage.

If his CPU is getting too hot it could also be voltage vs frequency - detune it a bit if undervolting at the desired frequency is too hot. Maybe a 9900KF will run cooler? Or, a 9700K / KF with the temperature drop from HT disabled - he could test that by disabling HT on the 9900k right now.

100c - 6c = 94c, that's a helpful drop that could be increased by detuning voltage / frequency - tuning the cores thermal output. 4c would be 96c... something is better than nothing.

Delidding 9900K - Is SOLDER Holding this CPU BACK!?
    Tech YES City
    Published on Nov 1, 2018
    Today we go through a journey on before / after temps, and overclocks with delidding the i9-9900k. And this differs to the 8700k in one big way, and that is Intel is using Solder this time, so things are a little more difficult... Also shown is how to do this mod and what to use (things like coolaboratory liquid metal pro). The results are very interesting, this is the first time I have encountered a beast like this, in terms of the way it behaves, and we also put together a custom loop specifically just for these tests.

9900k delidding.jpg

der8auer's results were a bit better, lapping even better, and I wasn't really all that happy with GM's results + going with paste first vs starting with LM. It looks like this delidding process is tougher and given the variance in results would mean there is a bit of skill involved - and art - to get the best results:

Bad sTIM? Why is the 9900K so hot?
    der8auer
    Published on Oct 19, 2018

der8auer 9900k delidding results.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  6. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know any good keyboard that has a the alienware laptops like keys?
    What I mean with that is mainly, concave shaped, non textured, low profile keys?

I have been using the corsair k70 both at work and at home for 5 years now. And even though it's a great keyboard, I'm starting to get annoyed of the significantly larger travel distance and sound of it. Also like the fact that the alienware laptop keybaords bottom down soft, while mechanical keys bottom out abruptly on a hard end, which is also a big reason why it's louder.

7. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    85 degrees with a .100mv undervolt is not bad with a 9900k under full load.... That seems good to me?? Or am I wrong?

Rocktaze and hmscott like this.
  8. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    CHECK YOUR ORDER STATUS ON DELL.COM

Just saw a Reddit post warning, and took a look at mine where I had the same issue.

If you click on your order, it might have a bold warning that you must offer consent for delivery due to some FTC shenanigans. You must provide some information of yours and click a box approving the delay (so far, though, it gave me the same date). NO EMAIL. NO ALERT. You must reply to the alert on the order page within 48 hours or they say they'll cancel the order. So in other words, my incessant checking every day since the 7th is actually required work. Just stupid.

Anyway, since I haven't run into this before; anyone know what this might mean behind the scenes?

hmscott likes this.
  9. MichaelF1

MichaelF1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    TL;DR: my Area 51m has died.

Long time thread-stalker while I waited on my order to arrive — hello!

I was expecting to post a success story here; my A51m 9700K/2080 arrived last week from HIDevolition (I bought the full heat transfer upgrade treatment on CPU & GPU). It’s been great for the last couple of days, staying cool even with fans at balanced or quiet. Wonderful machine.

Last night after a long gaming session (balanced fans, temps around 77 on the GPU) I had a number of instances where the GPU was lost — once the game crashed, complaining about the device being lost; once it went into limp mode with FPS around 10; a couple of other times the screen went black and I had to reboot. Finally, about a minute after I stopped playing for the night, the machine just shut down. No response to the power button. There was a faint acrid smell from the right vent (right side if sitting in front) if I put my nose right up to it — not so much “hot electronics” as “light burning smell”.

I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for awhile, to no avail. It’s dead. I’m not going to open anything (beyond taking my RAM and SSDs back out) — I’d rather let the vendor investigate from a clean slate. So... bummer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    SlickDragon, raz8020, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  10. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ouch.... an 51m from HID... and again 9700k...