*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gotta say it's been turned on all day, played a few games, over watch, city skylines, rust, did some benchmarking and it's been an absolute beast I couldn't be happier.

Does anyone know if you can create game profiles for the keys, like razor has some cool features when your health goes low for eg. I dont know if alienware has things like that.

pathfindercod likes this.
  2. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting 76.c with a 2080, if I add 160 to the core I get 79-80.c

pathfindercod likes this.
  3. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will open a support ticket with tobii tomorrow. I have a feeling that nobody got the gamehub working yet.

_deadbydawn_ likes this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
  5. blazkowicz009

blazkowicz009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my alienware area 51m, I want to add my Samsung 970 evo as primary drive. What steps should I take. Last time my nvidia control panel did not open or work when i did clean installation of windows 10. What should I do differently

6. tobyg

tobyg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe they're doing something different in other countries, but there is really no change here in the US.

Using the internet archive wayback machine at https://web.archive.org/web/ I compared some prices.
    I checked what prices were February 8th.

The first config they had on February 8th was the $2549.99 config. This was the lowest at the time, because they didn't have a RTX 2060 ready back then, it started at a RTX 2070.

For the second config, the $2799.99 configuration, exact same components, exact same price.

For the third config, $3129.99 configuration, I had to change it to Lunar Light to be the same configuration as the one in February, so the price jumped to $3179.99, and that one was $3249.99 back in February 8th. Right now the 3rd config is $70 off, so without this savings it's really the same price it was in February.

For the forth config, the config in February cost was $4249.99 but had 32GB of RAM and was "Lunar Light", where today's config is $3899.99 with 16GB of RAM and "Dark Side of the Moon". If I change that one to 32GB of RAM and change to "Lunar Light" it jumps to $4149.99, which is still $100 cheaper than it was in February (it's $100 off right now, so technically this configuration is the exact same price it was in February).

For another check I went to the prices from March 3rd. March 3rd, the only real difference is they did offer a $1949.99 configuration. This configuration is the same as the current $2149.99 configuration, except for the memory and hard drive. They are forcing you to go to 16GB now instead of 8GB (maybe their stock of 4GB DIMM's is low/out?) and a 256GB PCIe SSD vs a 1TB SSHD. I would argue that nobody should buy a machine with only 8GB of RAM and a spinning drive, even if it is an "SSHD". They probably didn't want someone buying a machine like this, and their first impressions are it being slow because of the slow spinning hard drive and low 8GB RAM. Granted, it would be nice to give users a choice and spend less and upgrade their own system, but this configuration did go up in price by $200.

So what I can see is, prices are the same as they were in February. What changes maybe is the base configs. Maybe they are changing things around there, based on the stock they have available or unavailable, but prices are the same as they were 1-1.5 months ago (in the US at least).

Not only that, but as of right now they have their "SAVE17" deal in the US, where you save 17% off of those prices. That makes things way cheaper than they were in February.
    So, in that case, even if you think about the configuration that went up $200, the $1949 RTX 2060 8GB/1TB SSHD configuration that is now $2149 for RTX 2060/16GB/256GB SSD, it's actually $166 cheaper now than the $1949.99 configuration was.

So overall, prices are the same or less than they were on February 8th and March 3rd in the US.

FWIW this is what I was comparing to today's prices:
    February 8th: https://web.archive.org/web/2019020...ty/pdp/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop?~ck=mn
    March 3rd: https://web.archive.org/web/2019030...ty/pdp/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop?~ck=mn

You may want to do your own research for your own country. I don't know how Dell operates in other countries, and how often they change prices. And they may also stack sales even when prices change, so that's something to watch.

Good luck and have a good day.

Oh and if you're in the US, now is a good time to purchase. Prices are cheaper than they were, and you save 17%. That's huge.

SlickDragon, Izumka and ThatOldGuy like this.
  7. tobyg

tobyg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your NVIDIA control panel didn't work because you used the "DCH" drivers, because the most recent non-DCH drivers didn't have the device ID for the Alienware Area 51m RTX cards. And when you use the DCH drivers, you have to get the NVIDIA control panel from the Windows Store.

Looks like version 419.67 just came out yesterday. I don't have my Alienware Area 51m anymore (still on order) so I can't test. Someone may want to download those and see if they work, or look in the INF file and see if the driver ID is in there.

Personally I just used the stock install and cloned it to my other m.2 drive. The stock install is very much free of bloatware, so it seemed good enough to use. I used Macrium Reflect free to clone from one drive to the other. Macrium will only see your drives if you change to AHCI mode. But even if you want to keep your OS as "RAID" instead of "AHCI", what you can do is change to "AHCI" in the BIOS, clone with Macrium Reflect", then change back to "RAID" in the BIOS before booting off of your cloned drive.
    Or, what I did, was follow the article others have referenced here (I've used the same procedure for a long time with no issues) to convert from RAID to AHCI.

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/un...ch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

I basically use that, but instead of using bcdedit, I just run "msconfig" and on the boot tab just select "Safe boot".
    Oh and after booting into safe mode, sometimes my keyboard wouldn't work right (windows key didn't work). I just hit Control-Alt-Delete, opened task manager and ran "msconfig" by clicking on "File->Run new task" in the task manager.

Good luck with your new system.

blazkowicz009 likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's not a regular driver and not meant for gamers:

Source: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/.../?ncid=so-twi-rs-79151&linkId=100000005519026

nVIDIA Creator Ready Driver v419.67

NEVER do that people! That's the lazy way to convert from RAID to AHCI and is not the same as installing your OS in pure AHCI Mode!

You may have been successful in terms of conversion and booting up the OS but that's not how it's done. To start off with the AHCI Driver is not even present when you install the OS in RAID!

Please don't spread this lazy method around!

The Dell Factory Image on most if not all Dell laptops come installed in RAID for some reason whether you have a RAID setup or not. To fully benefit from AHCI's lower latency driver one must install the OS in pure AHCI mode

jclausius likes this.
  9. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got my 51m backpack today, its actually much nicer than I expected and not as huge as some made it out to be. At the discount price they’re selling it ($99) I think it’s worth it. I used my 3% Dell Rewards from the 51m to purchase it.

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Physically installing...

As for software, idk I just downloaded all the latest drivers from Dell except nVidia & Intel drives (directly from their website) and nVidia control panel comes up fine.

It was my understanding that the RAID driver is basically the same as AHCI driver when running in a "non-RAID" disk set-up.

As for that creator driver being different....maybe I should do a test to see if it's really truly not better for gaming.

mason2smart likes this.