*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

So does this mean for the current owners of 2080, our best bet is to figure out a way to pad the chips ourselves? Or are we screwed and need to wait for official word from Dell?

Despite the cost of the unit I would rather just open it up and do a mod myself, rather than wait months for Dell to come out with a rev.2 design...

2. tobyg

tobyg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Look at the pictures better. That passive heatsink that screws on the bottom doesn't appear to cover the entire bottom.
    You can see the main board ends just about in the middle of the GPU, and in the pictures posted with the burnt GPU, you can see that screwed on heat sink doesn't go the entire length of the bottom in the one shot where it's still attached.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What help is it in better pads if nothing remove the heat?

And people should be damn careful if they close the lid when they Gaming on external screen. You closing for the small vents above the keyboard. See... many do that sometimes. Some always.

Will look at it later. Post from my phone.
    [​IMG]
    Alienware Area-51m laptops should get the UHD option in six to eight months

Currently available only with a full HD display option, the Alienware Area-51m gaming laptop will get UHD as an option in six to eight months, revealed Frank Azor. He also said that the arrival of this option "wasn't supposed to take this long" so the machine was not designed for DIY display upgrades.

Alienware's co-founder Frank Azor has been quite active on Twitter over the weekend, and one of his interesting tweets concerns those looking to get the Area-51m with QHD or UHD resolution... This message reads the following: "a product has to be designed from the start with the intention of upgrading in order to offer it properly. UHD readiness wasn't supposed to take this long. We didn't design A51m originally for display DIY. UHD isn't 1 year away it's about 6-8 months away." Aka ready for revision two.
    upload_2019-3-19_7-22-19.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Obviously the UHD/QHD panel that is 3mm smaller than the current on the market, has not been designed/built/not in production yet. For an extra 3mm Dell decided to forgo QHD/UHD on their flagship product. Great move.

5. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    True :/

Yeah, I used to close the lid of my M17x R3 until I realised I am reducing airflow. I also remove the battery when I am at home so that there is less general heat. Shame that the new designs don't let you remove the battery so easily...

Vasudev likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'm in finals week right now and next week I'll be in Korea, so don't expect much from me for 2 weeks. :D

New review video...
    That 2080 incident is unfortunate but a mod mentioned in that thread that it was the first to have the GPU area burn. The first 5(6?) were by the opposite side close to the power connector. So there could be more than one issue. I've already made Frank aware of this issue a couple of days ago and he said he is on it. If anyone else has this issue and is willing to take pics, it will be very helpful. I also was afraid of the 2080 cooling when I saw their CES coverage. Some components looked like they weren't being cooled.

I have not. I'm waiting for thermal grizzly's new product. Been in contact. Should be ready by April. ;)

Nope, not supported. Only HDR video is.

[​IMG]

And when the new displays are better than the current ones and only systems like the Area-51m with thin bezels support them, people will be thankful.

7. tobyg

tobyg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed. This is what I mentioned a few pages back:

One other thing to keep in mind - This is just one of the 4+ people who have had the issue with their 51m. Unlikely, but it's possible there are other issues too, or that whatever caused this, could manifest as a different problem on a different part of the board/system or the same chip in a different area on the board.

Until we have pictures of more failures, we won't know exactly what is happening.

8. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

so this is the answer of frank to my concerns. i'm wondering what exactly will be in that new bios

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

mason2smart, raz8020, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  9. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought it was at 6+ ? now, These numbers fluctuating more than the a51m temps.

All jokes aside, I am greatful for those who are going in head first into new style tech and spreading knowledge.

10. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hopefully they get out the new BIOS earlier than that and before I get my laptop. Should have in-hand between the 23rd-25th and really don't want to take a chance with it until this comes out, but I really don't want to just sit and look at for a few days either. :nah:

Vasudev likes this.