*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I ask how long have you had the laptop. - did you have an early batch ?

Just wonder if this issue effects certain laptops or certain models with certain cpu/gpu configurations ..?

2. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've played well over 60 hours of continuous play of resident evil 2 and apex legends since I've gotten mine on the 20th of february. I've also left it it plugged in and on for most of that time to see if it would randomly crash or have an issue and it has been rock solid. The main issue that i have now is that without oc controls installed i cannot control the fans and with them installed i cannot properly use xtu. Is there some other program i can use to control fans?

SlickDragon, raz8020 and ssj92 like this.
  3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not true, I get 30-40 FPS min with very good, but not maxed settings, 4K screen, when the screen is busy (during raid, a lot of FX on screen). GTX 1080 @ 2GHz.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I still can't find it! No idea where it went.

Any chance to be able to use oc controls and then use Throttlestop to control CPU overclock? I feel like we've been through this but I forgot.

Also have you tried BIOS 1.3.0 to see if it changes anything?

5. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So imo its 99% MOFSET related causing them blow ups..

I also had 2 of them in my AW18 and i sincerely believe AREA51M has the same fault. I truly hope they will come fix this at your house, so you can see the problem yourself and tell us more about it.

100% if you send it to depot they will just classify it as "Motherboard failure" with no further more details explained.

Dear god im getting worried should have gone for a high end desktop LOL. Ohwell

6. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    I have the 1.3.0 bios installed and i didnt really see a performance difference for the 8700k. If oc controls is installed neither xtu or throttlestop will work. They both work when it is uninstalled. I set the fans to balanced and they spin up at 80c but that is a bit high for me. Overall it works well though.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Still no options in bios for cpu?

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean @QUICKSORT have the 9700K/2080 config. The first user who reported Toasted Area-51m had i9 /2080 combo.

People are very fast to judge what's up (know what really happened). They should be glad people are honest and will report such thing on the web. Many will never do it.
    upload_2019-3-17_2-48-30.png

raz8020 likes this.
  9. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Performance options are greyed out in bios with the 8700k still with the new bios. :(

10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    It's actual " common sense ". From the way that person " want " to handle the issue is absurd. He want to have it " repaired "... GTFO. You don't spend $$$$$ on a high end laptop and get it repaired the first week you received it. So you would in your right mind too, would have a $5,000 laptop repaired instead of it being return for a new one the same week it gets blown up?

Keep in mind that people started killing their laptop the first few days they received it to shows they got balls by benching it. Be it they are noobs or experienced bencher.

and with @EepoSaurus playing games continuous 60 hours, and his didn't blow up.

Spartan and VoodooChild like this.