*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does anybody know what thermal pads I need to replace the ones around the cpu? I should have measured last time I had it apart but forgot...

2. PrimalNaCl

PrimalNaCl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is that regardless of any of the attached supply's power delivery capability? e.g. Eurocom 780W single supply plugged into one of the ports works or does not work?

3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No I don't use twitter, Though, I don't need support through there either, nonetheless, I appreciate that you are spreading the news, as this seems to be a genuine issue of this laptop I think.
    And I will see what I can do during on-site session. Though don't know yet how support will handle my case to begin with. Will have to wait till monday.
    On the meanwhile, I did post this on Alienware subreddit.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  4. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would not even try that tbh, but i don’t think that will work.

I played WoW with the 180w brick and i got 100fps with graphic setting 8 so jeah, its not useless

5. PrimalNaCl

Reputations:
    As long as the pinout is == then there shouldn't be any issue in at least trying it. Whether or not it would work is my reason for asking. I have this exact supply operating perfectly w/my MSI GT75 Titan. That unit comes w/dual 330W supplies, but the 'mixer' is external to the notebook whereas the AW is internal. And by perfectly, I mean that when the gpu and cpu are put under full load, the notebook doesn't punt due to artificially limiting power to < 330W of a single brick. I'd like to know if the AW's internal 'mixer' is able to do the same or if it _does_ artificially limit draw if it only detects one supply.

WoW's kind of a noop anymore as it's about as materially taxing as a browser game now-a-days. What does a _real_ game get you w/that 180W brick? Will it even allow the 2080 to turn on w/that thing?

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Take it apart and have a look, that’s the only way we will know

raz8020 likes this.
  7. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Testing from ssj82 i believe revealed that no matter what brick you use that the cpu works 100% and the gpu downclocks to about 30% performance.

The reason i don’t think it will work is that the performance is the same with the 180w brick and the 330w brick so i think it only unlocks full power when it sees both bricks but jeah that would have to be tested

c69k and raz8020 like this.
  8. PrimalNaCl

Reputations:
    Ah thank you. That is quite a bummer and one of the items on my 'deal-breaker' list for picking up one of these things. Hopefully it's possible to mod the thing to 'spoof' dual supplies either internal or some reverse Y external adapter. The Eurocom supply is a beast and, after having used it, I'd never wish to go back.

9. Sven Boden

Sven Boden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just played the division 2 on ultra preset with around 110FPS. (9900K RTX 2080)
    The PC Hardware side says that an Desktop RTX 2080 (No Oc) has an average score of 147 on ultra preset :0
    Of course there is a difference between those two cards but that seems overwhelming :0
    Any idea how that comes? What are your FPS in the Division 2? :0
    Its also weird because in all Benchmarks i tested, (Time Spy, Firestrike,...) it seems to be equal to desktop Cards and now in game it falls so far behind?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Kormi likes this.
  10. FrankieFrank

FrankieFrank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you look closely on that picture, the AC connections are precisely under the heatsink. Thats some heat thats stressing that part!