*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This other member you mentioned. Did they say what the reason/cause of the burn was?

I'm still shocked.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are the 3rd with burning smell... No one made any indication it was related to PSU connection yet.

I would not leave the drives in. Give it to Dell how they gave it to you. Also if you have any USB to m.2 or SATA connector, I would test the drives

raz8020 likes this.
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Same behavior as my Alienware 18 when it bit the dust. Electronic burning smell following by shutdown. Upon disassembly, two MOSFETs near the DC jack had burned out. I would investigate the board before sending it to dell

raz8020 likes this.
  4. QUICKSORT

Reputations:
    Since I have on site support, I thought I'd wait and let them disassemble the pc if necessary, and I guess I was going to tell them to also take out my Drives at that moment.

But now you made worry. I can test my 2.5 inch drive, as I have a reader for that, but not for the m.2 one.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is unlikely they are physically damaged. But they could be corrupted

6. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The left is the cpu side.

7. QUICKSORT

Reputations:
    Once again, I don't think the issue is CPU or GPU related. Those have all kinds of protection built in them. And my CPU and GPU temps were great. CPU always below 85 degrees, and below 80 99% of the time.

Just like @Raidriar mentioned. I think it's a burnt component on the motherboard right next to the power plug. As there was no burning smell coming from the bottom hexagon vent holes.

8. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm due delivery next week, this is very very worrying to hear. 3 people from reddit and here, that's now a huge amount, possibly we also don't hear from those who don't come here to post about it too.

9. craigery81

craigery81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah mine is due next week and I'm seriously considering cancelling and just going back to my Razer.

3 incidents in 1 week reported on venues that 90% of the consumers probably dont even use. Very very concerning.

I'd take high CPU temps over a machine blowing up any day of the week.

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    All I can think of is either mosfets or the dc power jack area. Wonder if they're even being cooled properly

[​IMG]

@EepoSaurus @captn.ko @Johnksss Have y'all stressed tested the laptop yet with like a 30 min - 1 hour gaming sesh?

I tweeted this post but recommend you do the same if you have twitter. Need this issue sorted out ASAP.

https://twitter.com/Qorcky/status/1106691208129269761

If they're doing on-site try and take a pic of the area that was damaged when they disassemble it.

If they require depot, we'd all appreciate if you can disassemble and check the motherboard area.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019