*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Usually faculty members ask why are you carrying heavy and bulky laptop[AlienFX off and it looks like China based rip-offs], I tell them its very old laptop and they say okay carry on... We're used to thin laptops and seeing bulky laptop is first time for me!

c69k likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is that confirmed or just speculation? I sadly have never looked at the VRM on the Max-Q variant so I'm not sure.

@Papusan, that really didn't shed any light on anything. We already know that the cards are downclocked via firmware to run at lower voltages/temps to hit noise specs. It still doesn't change that it's not a cut down process like the M cards of old. If you're going to hate on Max-Q, you may as well hate on every laptop GPU that has come before. If the Max-Q variant allows for more options, especially in the thin and light area, then I'm all for it. For me it's nice to be able to do some solid modeling/gaming on the go but nothing serious. If I wanted something serious, I'd do that on the desktop with proper hardware that has proper cooling. But like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough, a couple more days before NDA, I hope it's interesting.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Remember when laptops with 980 desktop cards was released in 2015? We had m branded cards in same number series (etc 980m) with equal lower performance as today’s Max-Q vs. N branded graphics models. They was cheaper.

Today we have same lower performance with Max-Q vs. Normal graphics but at same high prices.

This is Wrong direction! You pay same for less performance. Give us back m cards at lower price point. The <not> cut down silicon doesn’t bring what people want. Only higher prices.

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Aside from the very late released GTX980 they were ALL M variants with much much lower performance than the Max-Q. They were not cheaper by any means though. Laptops with a 970M/980M were expensive, I only eyed them for a long time before deciding the just stick with desktops...

Dannemand likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    What was the performance hit with 980m vs. desktop cards with same number series?

If the Max-Q branding wasn’t thrown out we probably would have differences in prices. And Nvidia know that.

Now everything is priced equal. Lackluster performance doesn’t matter.

Rei Fukai and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. custom90gt

Reputations:

I mean the 1060 Max-Q is much much faster than a 980M. And the 980M was roughly equivalent to the desktop 960. The 1060 Max-Q is just a small percentage away from the full fledged 1060. I see it as going in a good direction. I see Max-Q products in low end Dells and such, I'm not sure how you can say they are priced the same.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    You look at the weaker and cheaper ends of cards. RTX 2080 Max-Q and N cards will most likely be priced about equal.

And I’m not sure 980m had 960 desktop cards performance.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I welcome you to look it up. It was marginally faster than a 960 but much slower than a 970. Also getting a gaming laptop for ~800 bucks was unheard of back then. I remember paying much more for a 860m, 960m, etc...

Dannemand and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    980m vs. 960 desktop cards. Release a not cut down chips with less performance but at same prices (Max-Q) was Nvidia’s smart move milk more money. If I buy a slower Cpu I expecting pay less. I won’t pay same prices for lesser performance. Nope won’t happen. BGA or MXM design doesn’t matter.
    2486FF62-DDE6-40E1-87E3-0844532C427E.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Rei Fukai, TBoneSan and Ashtrix like this.
  10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Going from memory the top dog card ‘m’ variant card was usually the 2nd tier desktop card spec wise, just underclocked a little.

680m = gtx 670
    780m = gtx 770
    980m = gtx 970

They were abundant and cheap enough to do your own upgrades. I remember nabbing a new 780m for $550 and picking up x2 for the old m18x. The 980m came out the gates abit pricey but eventually came down.
    This was the golden era of laptops.

Now the cards (MXM) are about $1100 to buy and performance dictated by firmware and power output. The nomenclature is almost meaningless.
    But on a game of averages a 1080 would still probably average the next card down on a desktop. But just look at the pricing now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Rei Fukai, Vistar Shook and Ashtrix like this.