*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. emetri

emetri Newbie

Reputations:
    So I've had my 51m for a week now (ordered from HIDEvolution with repaste and updated SSDs.)

Initial impressions:
    1: After a small undervolt and downclock to 4.5ghz, temps seem reasonably low and fans are generally nice and quiet while gaming.
    2: I really like the screen. Colors really pop and it's awesome for FPS games.
    3: I *love* the keyboard. It's the best laptop keyboard I've ever used. Something kind of addictive about it, not sure I can describe it exactly. And this is coming from a guy who collects mechanical keyboards on my desktop side (I have multiple Topre and Cherry keyboards.)
    4: I experienced the same touchpad "loose" thing that other people reported. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned they were able to fix it themselves by adding a rubber washer with a screw, might try that.
    5: This laptop is smaller than the dimensions quoted everywhere. It's still big. It *barely* fits in my Everki Titan (that's designed for 17.3" laptops) and without enough padding on the top. But it's not the super-huge beast it's made out to be, and the weight isn't bad.
    6: The smaller of the two chargers is like, a normal laptop charger. The larger one is *giant* and super heavy. I would not want to travel with this in a backpack. On my last trip I checked both.

Overall I am very happy with the laptop and I'm coming from a Zephyrus M with a 1070.

IXVIXXII, SlickDragon, Amroth and 2 others like this.
  2. HookemAZ

HookemAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI: If you purchased a model with Tobi Eye tracking, you can get a free copy of the Division 2. Myself and a few of my friends have all received our keys. I get that some may not care, but it's a free key to share with someone else even if you don't want it for yourself. Just figured I would share.

After you register and it scans your Tobi serial number, it takes roughly a day for it to populate in your Tobii "my games" section. Pretty quick and easy.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/Faqs/...our-copy-of-The-Division-2-TD2?fallback=en_GB

3. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the impressions! Love what I'm hearing for all of that, except the downclock. I don't want to have to downclock to keep temps in order.

4. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out of interest which panel do you have ? Dell supply different versions. I like my panel (colours are great compared to the qhd panel on r4/5 and blacks are a descent black; it’s made by LG Phillips it’s the 144hrtz gsync panel .. I understand some ship with AUO panels ..

5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    There! Done! Happy now? ;)

raz8020, Darkhan and Spartan like this.
  6. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any owner from UK? I wonder if it is widely available in UK now as I can’t find it in Amazon. Kinda reluctant to order it from Dell directly :confused: i did noticed that it is available as “pre-order” in one of thr well-known reseller and it states that 51m will only be available after 25th of Mar:(

7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    perfect bro, but that green is piercing my eye man, please have mercy on us :eek:

Rei Fukai likes this.
  8. Wiz bit

Reputations:
    Order from dell direct and save 12% currently - it’s the safest way and free returns in the uk. I would not buy from the a reseller in the uk it will not be cheaper..

minc3 likes this.
  9. Wiz bit

Reputations:
    Ok so I did manage to copy windows using macron reflect no problem.

There is currently an issue with using dell os recovery drivers (via the usb method) and Alienware support only recommend installing windows direct from ms website

‘MFor Windows installation you need to download Windows installation files (64-bit version) and create bootable USB stick. This can be done by using Media Creation Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Until the dell os recovery drivers are updated..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Taste the Rainbow!