*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Flaguy45

Flaguy45 Newbie

Reputations:
    Received my AW Area 51m 9900k/2080 and have been very impressed. I do look forward to someone hopefully showing a step by step for cooling it down with premium pastes and thermal pads and what works best. After I set my computer up and made sure to upgrade any drivers needed tried my first game which was Anthem. WOW does it get hot. CPU runs between 90-95c and keypad is quite hot to the touch. Has anyone tried under clocking to get it cooler? I of course have no idea what settings to use in the overclocking part of the command center. What voltage and voltage off set to use on the CPU with say 4ghz and the GPU proper settings to underclock etc.

An amazing machine and I hope to learn much more on tips/tricks from this forum.

Jaxigar and SlickDragon like this.
  2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know, that is not what you want to hear but:

In your configuration this notebook costs more than 4,5k € ...

For that price it has to run cool without any help from other users. If you have to repaste it, undervolt it or whatever just to get it run cool and at the full speed, it is everything but not amazing!

And in my opinion a repaste does not help much on this machine ... maybe three or four degree. But it will still not run long on full speed without throttle!

I had the same config and after three days I gave it up and sent it back ...

Sorry to say that but AW is not the same as they were many years ago ... I loved their machines but now ... it is just sad ...

steberg and Spartan like this.
  3. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Glad you're liking it. How's Anthem run? Any throttling.

The temps people are reporting (and from the little we've seen on Youtube) seem all over the place. Seems some people are able to game and even on CPU-bound titles like Anthem are able to stay in the high 80s on the 9900k, then others like yourself it's hitting 95c. There's a big difference between, say, 87 and 95, IMO. Wonder if the chip lottery and roll-of-the-dice factory thermal paste are making that big of a difference.

If I can't stay under 90c on video games with thermal grizzly, I'll probably return mine. I understand a laptop is gonna get hot; but I've never had luck with a mobile machine staying at 90c+ for extended amounts of time.

Spartan and KozE like this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I would assume that allot of that has to do with whether or not it's trying to run it's base level of 4.7Ghz and staying hot or is it dropping down to 4.2Ghz and staying cool...

Cass-Olé likes this.
  5. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What’s the chances of Ryzen coming to the Area 51M? Especially now considering the leaks for Zen 2. Imagine having a 16 core 32 thread portable beast!!

6. Flaguy45

Flaguy45 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was fussing around with the command center and set the theme to Cool instead of Performance and turned overclock off. Restarted Anthem with everything maxed graphics (ultra) and now the game plays so cool and the visuals are stunning. CPU temps now are fluctuating between 65-70c and the GPU never goes above 50c. I love this computer! FPS at max settings are right around 85fps.

Amroth, Jaxigar and SlickDragon like this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And the quality of Intel's Solder + Quality of Silicon is a roll of the dice. Together with Dells spotty paste jobs, I would expect a large range out of the box for this laptop.

I don't know what standard you are talking. But as long as I have been buying laptops for the past 20 years... Its always been a crapshoot weather you can run stock out of the box for any brand. This is why hand built systems from Clevo Boutiques do a bit better (and even then people usually end up re-pasting eventually)

They only difference is AW, many years ago, did not have as locked down firmware.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  8. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone **successfully reinstalled windows** on a new ssd?

I tried using easeus software which worked for me many a time on r3,r4,r5but it doesn’t on this machine. The laptop doesn’t recognise the new drive with the copied image (even though the new drive has the windows software files on it)

I also tried downloading the dell recovery image for this laptop on a usb which created the image fine on the usb. However when I ran dell os recovery it just got stuck in loading the image from the usb so powered off after 40 mins and no files had been copied to the new ssd.

I have windows pro. I might try macron reflect.. or download windows from Microsoft. But there isnt much bloatwear on this system image hence why I used the dell image from their website using the service tag

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh wow! That's awesome! Much, much better to hear - really happy for you and I hope I get the same experience. If I can play games with CPU always below 80c, I'm a real happy camper.

With that newer setup, can you comment on the fan noise? Is it loud? Slow hum? Sped up hum? Engine? Jet engine? It's about to take off?

SlickDragon likes this.
  10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Macron Reflect? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

clayton006 and Joikansai like this.