*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    No. Only the 200W TDP.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Oh I just realize what you meant by "2 adapters" LOL

Yeah it's kind of dumb that something like 9700K + 2080 or less can't be used on a single 330w. I'm fairly confident the 330w can handle a gaming load.

Maybe I'll open mine up tonight and just take a peek :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    jclausius and Jaxigar like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Single 330W seems to drop the fps down to a max of 40fps from say 160fps.

SlickDragon likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Who keeps telling people this?? It is simply not true

No, you only need 1 330W adapter to play pretty much any game out today near max settings above 45 FPS @ 1080p.

If you are gaming at more than 1080p... you are connected to a monitor at a desk and will (should) be using both adapters. If you are benching, you should be using both adapters.

No game out today (with a select few) uses the full power of even a GTX 1080 @ 1080p

The simple Maths:
    If you have the RTX 2080 + i9 CPU, a single 330W adapter will prioritize the CPU and the GPU will get the leftovers. With the 119/126W sustained limit on the CPU, the GPU gets a good amount of leftovers.

TDLR
    Take a look at Notebookcheck's list of benchmarks for the RTX 2080 (notebook), and take a look at the FPS @ 1080p
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Laptop-Graphics-Card.384931.0.html

Now take about 25-30% off those #s, and that is what you will likely get with one 330W adapter

Terreos likes this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    This appeared after my rant lol

If this is true, then there may be a firmware limitation with 1 adapter? Which goes totally against this statement from page 5 of the manual!!!!!!!:

"NOTE: Your computer ships with two power adapters, and it will operate normally with one power adapter connected. For maximum gaming performance, it is recommended to connect two adapters. Only use adapters supplied with your device, or Dell-approved adapters to power your device."

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-17-area51m-laptop_setup-guide_en-us.pdf

Still: 40FPS should be smooth enough with G-Sync for most on the go cases.

But if they are indeed limiting it; that is a
    travesty
    And simply plain stupid! Why limit it's mobility?

SlickDragon, Papusan and Johnksss like this.
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Edit: Glad I refreshed the screen first. LOL

Has to be, because it wasn't even using more than 250W at the time.

Or, the PSU is Max 330W and not RMS 330W, making it more like 275W or so RMS watts. Speculations of course.

I tested that 40FPS on my Clevo and you know what happen??? It got me killed a bunch of times! :D That lag was killing me!

Papusan and ThatOldGuy like this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    We are talking AAA titles at ULTRA settings right?

Not something like Overwatch? In which case the problem may be an FPS cap of some-type, which is rotten.

Can you screenshot your watt usage in HWINFO?

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I don't have one at the moment. That was one I just jumped on for a few. If or when I get my hands on another one, i'll be a bit more through. That PSU thing caught me totally off guard though for the first 10 minutes. :D Straight noob error on my part I gather.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The TB3 port video output is hardwired to the iGPU, even with a GSync equipped model. It was the same way on all past Alienware models with a TB3 port.

10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, don't. If you look closely at the DC power connector it has a very thin middle pin. There are electronics inside the PSU that tell the laptop what adapter this is, eg genuine Dell and how many watts. There is a web link where this investigation has been done by others down to detailing the NVRAM chip inside the adapter. I am not aware of a technique that you can fool the laptop with a 3rd party PSU.